Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Morning Phone Key Connectivity Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone works perfectly as a phone key, except for first thing in the morning when I try to get in the car. I have to restart my phone to get Bluetooth to connect as a phone key. So generally I will use the key card and fumble with my phone driving down the road until I get it to connect. I always precondition the car, so I know the phone is connecting that way. My phone is the Essential Phone 1. Does anyone else have issues first thing in the morning trying to connect?

My phone works perfectly as a phone key, except for first thing in the morning when I try to get in the car. I have to restart my phone to get Bluetooth to connect as a phone key. So generally I will use the key card and fumble with my phone driving down the road until I get it to connect. I always precondition the car, so I know the phone is connecting that way. My phone is the Essential Phone 1. Does anyone else have issues first thing in the morning trying to connect?
The only time I've had issues is when the app updates. I will need to reopen the app to get the constant notification to appear again.

Try this, as you near the car, bring the phone out and just hold it, in view of the car, for a few minutes.

I know with mine, if it is in my back pocket, as I am approaching the car, the Bluetooth signal just isn't being heard. If I face away from the car (butt to the car), it will then be heard and the doors will open.

It's very possible, that the car just isn't seeing the phone long enough to handshake and be authorized.