Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Germany with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I know this has been asked before, but I have some new, specific questions, and I wanted to check if anyone has some experience and/or answers.

As the title suggests, we're moving from the US to Europe, and we want to take our Model 3 with us. The trip is for about 3 years or so, we aren't selling this car (it already has some cool aftermarket features), and we don't want to buy a new one in Germany.

So I understand the premium connectivity won't work, and that the superchargers will be different, so what happens if:

1. We get a WiFi hotspot for it - one of those adapters that the car can just connect to via WiFi - will that make the maps/music streaming/updates work?
2. We use the Model 3 Chademo adapter? We got one already, will we be able to charge with it in Europe?

Please, if anyone has answers, or experience with this, let me know.

Thanks!

Assuming military, you should ask your sponsor for the tax office and the vehicle office info for whatever base/post your headed to. This offices should be able to give you the welcome packet for how to register your vehicle and all that fun stuff. Heads up, the Germans want EVERYTHING perfect, there is no wiggle room.

Bring your original paperwork, not copies. Be prepared to wait. Your unit should be able to help but don’t be afraid to say it louder as this will be your mode of transportation there. Good thing is they drive on the right side of the road so it’s easy to adapt.

I would hit up Tesla support about your situation to find out about the what will or will not work. Might be something they can change in your software. Also should make sure you can even ship an EV...... just saying

Make sure you can prove you have given up your US residence, then you should be exempt from the 19% VAT and 10% import duty on the vehicle. Proof of sale of residence, lease contract ending, or employeer stating you are transferred should be enough.

Hopefully the car passes inspection as is, the tail lights might be an issue, because the turn indicators are red, rather than yellow/amber on US Model 3's.

Public charging might be an issue for you, I know 3-phase is quite popular in Europe.

R
Make sure you can prove you have given up your US residence, then you should be exempt from the 19% VAT and 10% import duty on the vehicle. Proof of sale of residence, lease contract ending, or employeer stating you are transferred should be enough.

Hopefully the car passes inspection as is, the tail lights might be an issue, because the turn indicators are red, rather than yellow/amber on US Model 3's.

Public charging might be an issue for you, I know 3-phase is quite popular in Europe.

Right. We will have the letter from the employeer and our lease ending, or us breaking it - either way. Also, we're looking into the light being changed while we're here. So, none of those should be a problem. We're not military exactly, but are affiliated. So they may be able to help, possibly, also.