Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR Model 3 Trunk - Have to SLAM to latch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I love my Model 3! However, i've noticed the trunk takes an unusual amount of effort to latch properly. I'm usually pulling down from one of the interior handles, and if I pull down with the same effort i used on my old ICE car (Mazda6) or use to close the Tesla passenger doors (let's say an effort level of 3 out of 10), the trunk closes, but does not latch. I usually end up lifting it up and SLAMMING it (effort level of 7 out of 10), it will latch.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mine has gotten better over time, but some people have switched the rods that hold up the trunk for ones that are a bit weaker. One person cleverly moved the stiff trunk rods to the frunk, making that easier to open.

Hello!

I love my Model 3! However, i've noticed the trunk takes an unusual amount of effort to latch properly. I'm usually pulling down from one of the interior handles, and if I pull down with the same effort i used on my old ICE car (Mazda6) or use to close the Tesla passenger doors (let's say an effort level of 3 out of 10), the trunk closes, but does not latch. I usually end up lifting it up and SLAMMING it (effort level of 7 out of 10), it will latch.

Has anyone else experienced this?
This sounds like a quick adjustment of the rubber grommets that have the lid rest on the body. Could do it yourself, but easy enough to just have Mobile Service handle it for you. I believe in the notes when you schedule an appt online at your nearest SC you can request that the issue be resolved via Mobile Service. You'll probably get a call to describe the issue before they'll send the mobile tech out; they want to be confident they're not rolling a tech to you only to learn on site that it is an issue for the SC.

See Strength required to close the trunk lid...
Give it some time to break in. I have been able to pull with both inner handles and slowly learning the speed necessary to have it latch gently.
This issue is different than what the OP is talking about.
The OP is describing the problem of the trunk not latching. We've seen this several times in our shop, you pull the trunk down as normal but when it makes contact it doesn't latch unless you pick it up and literally slam it down.
This is different than the struts being too stiff and taking a lot of effort to pull it down. I realize that can be a problem also. Just clarifying the two different issues.

The OP is describing the problem of the trunk not latching. We've seen this several times in our shop, you pull the trunk down as normal but when it makes contact it doesn't latch unless you pick it up and literally slam it down.
This is different than the struts being too stiff and taking a lot of effort to pull it down. I realize that can be a problem also. Just clarifying the two different issues.

JasontheBeaver is correct - this isn't a strut issue, this is a latch issue.

I love my Model 3! However, i've noticed the trunk takes an unusual amount of effort to latch properly. I'm usually pulling down from one of the interior handles,
I think you are doing it the hard way. I reach up and push down on the rear edge of the trunk lid. To me, it takes very little effort. But perhaps someone who is short (not assuming you are) would find that challenging.

Hmm, I see. I can't tell if I have that same issue, then. If I get the trunk all the way down but too slowly it won't latch. So I have to reclose it again with a little more force, then it will latch, but I'm not slamming it down.