Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR No Longer Available to Configure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guarantee the $35k black base 3 is not long for this world.

I agree. After a few weeks/months of building it, I expect Elon to say, “Sorry. We can’t hold the price here. Not profitable enough to survive. It’s now (fill in new price here).”

Which is why I’m surprised he announced the base price on a Model Y as $39k. Why not just leave it open?

The leaf sl will be close to $45k and the bolt is $44k in premium. Even with the tax credit gone, Tesla is competitive and the other manufacturers are going to lose it soon anyway. If Tesla can figure out cost cutting to make the $35k standard profitable then no other brand can compete at this point. Tesla’s problem is how crazy they act sometimes and it scares customers away.
A local dealership is giving $10k discounts on a Premium trim Bolt...so discounts are happening. Yeah...GM will loose more money...but the consumer gets a really good deal on a really solid EV.

Reactions: fbitz777
Reactions: P3D_Denver
I like to get deals on everything I buy .

And that’s why we’ve had the pricing craziness lately.

Transparency in pricing is a good idea in theory, but the psychological impact of “getting a deal” can’t be ignored. Paying a reasonable, fair, honest price doesn’t feel as good as “winning one over” on the dealer.

Which leads us to inflated MSRP’s, hidden invoice costs, holdbacks and all the other detritus that goes with the historic sales model.

The very idea of “getting a deal” starts with distrust of the seller. It goes downhill from there.

Reactions: VQTRVA and bhzmark
Which is why I’m surprised he announced the base price on a Model Y as $39k. Why not just leave it open?[/QUOTE]

So more people would give Tesla the $2,500 deposit....interestingly though I haven't seen any word on how many people did.

Actually just head over to the Model Y forums and you will be surprised by the number of TMC members that have already placed an "order" for the Model Y. Yes, they have coughed up 2500 for something still very far away.
Welcome to TMC. The Model Y forums are a ghost town compared to after the Model 3 unveil. A handful of pre-orders on fanboi sites like this means nothing. I would be surprised if Tesla has 20,000 pre-orders for the Model Y. By 3 days after the 3 Unveil, Tesla had over 400,000 reservations. That should not be seen as a knock against the Model Y--it's just a different world today. I fully expect 2021 Model Y sales to be at least 4x Model 3 sales.

I like to get deals on everything I buy so when the priced dropped $4k a few weeks after I got mine, I was annoyed. If it was 6 months I wouldn’t have cared. Now Tesla is selling midrange cars as sr+ and giving free paint upgrades and discounts too. They seem desperate for cash to being selling cars at cost.
They had choice of one, the free paint color, interior color or wheel upgrade but was told this morning that that just went away (I ordered P100D yesterday) Even if you applied for it already it’s a no go at delivery. For me it’s a no go on a $3k discount on 21" twin turbines (only was one tier for the discount from $4500 down to $1500 grey slipstreams)

Transparency in pricing is a good idea in theory, but the psychological impact of “getting a deal” can’t be ignored. Paying a reasonable, fair, honest price doesn’t feel as good as “winning one over” on the dealer.

Which leads us to inflated MSRP’s, hidden invoice costs, holdbacks and all the other detritus that goes with the historic sales model.

The very idea of “getting a deal” starts with distrust of the seller. It goes downhill from there.
Good points. Tesla brought it on themselves by playing the price drop game.

Last edited:
A local dealership is giving $10k discounts on a Premium trim Bolt...so discounts are happening. Yeah...GM will loose more money...but the consumer gets a really good deal on a really solid EV.
Wow. The bolt costs $30k to make almost so they are losing money too. EV is in a bad place right now. Only premium EV’s built to compete with high end cars make financial sense for manufacturers at this point.

Reactions: P3D_Denver
They had choice of one, the free paint color, interior color or wheel upgrade but was told this morning that that just went away (I ordered P100D yesterday) Even if you applied for it already it’s a no go at delivery. For me it’s a no go on a $3k discount on 21" twin turbines (only was one tier for the discount from $4500 down to $1500 grey slipstreams)
I wonder why all the changes by the day. They needed a cash infusion. I will probably buy fsd today and give them $3k more.

I would be surprised if Tesla has 20,000 pre-orders for the Model Y. By 3 days after the 3 Unveil, Tesla had over 400,000 reservations. That should not be seen as a knock against the Model Y--it's just a different world today. I fully expect 2021 Model Y sales to be at least 4x Model 3 sales.

By many measures, the tempered enthusiasm is a sign that Tesla’s made it to the big show. It’s no longer a novelty, or something completely revolutionary. A new Tesla model now is exactly that - just a new model. Par for the course. As the world expects. The norm.

Congratulations on getting here - now the hard work starts.

• Love
Reactions: Acps110 and MXWing
By many measures, the tempered enthusiasm is a sign that Tesla’s made it to the big show. It’s no longer a novelty, or something completely revolutionary. A new Tesla model now is exactly that - just a new model. Par for the course. As the world expects. The norm.

I think people were expecting cold fusion thruster technology in the Y.

People were also expecting a look and design that were generations ahead of current cars.

And expect it this year as well.

People.. never satisfied.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy

The tempered enthusiasm is also due to Tesla's history of pricing games. All the early buyers were rewarded with paying more than people who waited so why rush to get to the front of the line for the Y?

I am still interested in the Y for my wife but at this point I'm just going to wait a year after it's out to see if the price drops.

I'm not sure this was the case here. People don't like the price cuts creating instant depreciation on the car. There are people out there that planned to keep the car for a couple of years and sell it, relying on the tax credit to absorb some of that depreciation. Instead, they find that the car's MSRP is at a point drastically lower than when they bought the car.

I'm not sure this was the case here. People don't like the price cuts creating instant depreciation on the car. There are people out there that planned to keep the car for a couple of years and sell it, relying on the tax credit to absorb some of that depreciation. Instead, they find that the car's MSRP is at a point drastically lower than when they bought the car.

To be honest, that’s the weakest argument I’ve heard yet.

Anyone chasing depreciation on a vehicle purchase is on a fool’s errand.

Vehicles depreciate. Quickly. They’re never an investment.

Prices drop, too. I can buy a 2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum for a heck of a lot less than I paid for mine. That’s not a negative, it’s reality.