Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Much more brake dusts front wheels than rear ones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front brakes do most of the work when stopping the vehicle, which is why the front brakes are always larger than the rears. Cars that I own that are more performance oriented tend to create considerably more brake dust on the front wheels. Teslas use their mechanical brakes less often than conventional cars in casual driving, but still are necessary when more brake force is required to slow the X than the re-generative system can provide.

Reactions: Genie
I will say that the brake dust on my Model S surprised me. In the three years of owning a Chevy Volt prior to my Model S, I had practically no brake dust on the wheels. I was really surprised when within a few months of Model S ownership, the front wheels were coated.

As for why the fronts have more dust than the rears, that is just physics. If you drove everywhere in reverse, you would notice more dust on the rear wheels. Also a reason why the rear brakes tend to last longer.

I will say that the brake dust on my Model S surprised me. In the three years of owning a Chevy Volt prior to my Model S, I had practically no brake dust on the wheels. I was really surprised when within a few months of Model S ownership, the front wheels were coated.

As for why the fronts have more dust than the rears, that is just physics. If you drove everywhere in reverse, you would notice more dust on the rear wheels. Also a reason why the rear brakes tend to last longer.

re: the 2nd part. that's not true. brake systems are forward biased, so if you drove everywhere in reverse you would still have the same amount of dust in the same location. you're just more likely to lock up the brakes.

I have the same issue on my 2020 MX - seems it may be a flaw - as there’s some users who are reporting little to no dust and get much better mileage ( 260-280 wh/ mile ) - my lifetime avg is 360 wh/mile - is it possible the front drive is somehow out of sync with the rear drive from a traction perspective ? Sometimes I feel the car is really smooth and rolls freely and sometimes it’s like I’m driving with my brakes on all the time

You want your 2020 Raven powertrain front drive unit to regenerate power as you come to a stop. Stay off the brakes and let it regen as much as you can. This will minimize wear, minimize dust, and maximize range.

Watch YouTube videos on it if you do not have it enabled in your vehicle's drive settings.

Reactions: double07