Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multicoat Red touchup paint + lots of small chips/scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a couple of youtube videos on the newer touchup paint and it looks like it's pretty magical ... but does anyone have first hand experience with the multicoat red? I have a lot of little rock chips and tiny dings on my hood and want to touch them up but I'm not sure if I should bother trying. The dealer I bought my car from (well the salesman there anyway) said if I did it my car would look "diseased" but I'm not sure if that's just because he's only seen touchups done with the older paint or if he just didn't do them correctly ...

I'm thinking about getting at least the front part wrapped this spring (I just bought the car used a few months ago), but not sure what I'm getting myself into... I don't want to spend a ton of money on it (i.e. if I have to repaint I probably won't go that route) but at the same time I'd like to fix the small issues that there currently are and try and prevent more. The paint definitely needs some professional work (tons of swirls, etc) and there is a great shop to do the paint correction and wrap blocks from me ... but I haven't taken it to them yet for a quote. Wanted to get my ducks in a row and do some more research first.

Any advice would be appreciated. Would I be able to mostly remedy these small chips? What about light scratches?

I've seen a couple of youtube videos on the newer touchup paint and it looks like it's pretty magical ... but does anyone have first hand experience with the multicoat red? I have a lot of little rock chips and tiny dings on my hood and want to touch them up but I'm not sure if I should bother trying. The dealer I bought my car from (well the salesman there anyway) said if I did it my car would look "diseased" but I'm not sure if that's just because he's only seen touchups done with the older paint or if he just didn't do them correctly ...

Any advice would be appreciated. Would I be able to mostly remedy these small chips? What about light scratches?

Buy this.........follow the directions explicitly........95% or more of your small chips will magically no longer be able to be detected.

Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Yes it works and matches perfectly. I also have Red Multi-coat and have used it on a few chips in the hood.
Btw this is the same kit Tesla offers.

The key is to follow the directions, also check out the YouTube videos.

That is unfortunate about the Dr. Colorchip! We use it all the time for customers and they love it. I understand the hesitation to wrapping the front end in film because of price, but you really aren't going to find anything better to protect your car. Just wrapping the bumper and hood would be a great solution to keeping the car looking good. often if the chips are small enough, the PPF can help hide them as well.

Yes if I decide to not just drive it and forget about the whole chip fix/wrap idea I will be doing a PPF for sure, but likely just partial as you suggest, just not sure how deep I want to go. I might talk to the detailers I have in mind to see if they would do the chip repair as well and see what it would set me back. I can get the touchup paint kit directly from Tesla and the markup is pretty small by the looks of it, so if I do the chip repairs myself I will just go that route ... but I mean if it only costs me another couple/few hundred to have the detailers doing the PPF take care of the chips then I would be crazy to try and do them myself ...