Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my MY a month ago from today and noticed a small paint chip on the back of my lift gate underneath where it says duel motor. I seriously do not think it was a rock hitting the back of the car or something bumping into it. There’s no dent, but paint completely off a very thin area of paint. I know it shouldn’t be a big deal and I should slap on touchup paint. But when you spend money getting all the add ons with the short period of having a brand new MY, it becomes an eye sore knowing the chip is there. Contacted tesla off business hours through text last night. Closest tesla dealer where I bought my MY is 75 miles from my house. My question is I’m curious if anyone has experience dealing with Tesla for paint defect and if so, did you have to drive a distance to have them look at it?

Attachments

• 3D53E09A-F018-4D52-8D63-4B8506558353.jpeg
    3D53E09A-F018-4D52-8D63-4B8506558353.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • 4E7F1AFF-68AD-4DF4-9DFD-BA7EC8557FFD.jpeg
    4E7F1AFF-68AD-4DF4-9DFD-BA7EC8557FFD.jpeg
    797.2 KB · Views: 138
I seriously do not think it was a rock hitting the back of the car or something bumping into it. There’s no dent, but paint completely off a very thin area of paint.

You dont have any proof of this, just "I dont think". You dont need a dent to get a rock chip. Its unlikely Tesla would cover it because of that, but even if they do, you are unlikely to be happy with how they fix it because they tend to just throw some touch up paint on it when they do something like this when there is not clear responsibility on their end (and there isnt clear responsibility its a car defect).

Either leave it or go through touching it up yourself, would also be my recommendation.

Reactions: richyrich
I’m pretty sure a rock
You dont have any proof of this, just "I dont think". You dont need a dent to get a rock chip. Its unlikely Tesla would cover it because of that, but even if they do, you are unlikely to be happy with how they fix it because they tend to just throw some touch up paint on it when they do something like this when there is not clear responsibility on their end (and there isnt clear responsibility its a car defect).

Either leave it or go through touching it up yourself, would also be my recommendation.
I’m pretty sure a rock didn’t hit it unless I was driving in reverse on the highway with a tiny rock hitting it without putting a dent on the lift gate. The likely chance of that fairly slim.

I’m pretty sure a rock

I’m pretty sure a rock didn’t hit it unless I was driving in reverse on the highway with a tiny rock hitting it without putting a dent on the lift gate. The likely chance of that fairly slim.

I understand what you are saying but "pretty sure" doesnt = no chance, so dont be surprised if Tesla looks at you and says what I said above. I dont work for them or anything though, so this is not an official statement or something. I am just telling you what I think they will say based on previous history, and what most companies would say actually.

"A key could have hit that, a jacket zipper, we dont know what it is but there isnt any proof that is a manufacturing defect". They may also decide to do something about it to save themselves the likely argument, but I dont think you would be happy with the results if they do.

I understand what you are saying but "pretty sure" doesnt = no chance, so dont be surprised if Tesla looks at you and says what I said above. I dont work for them or anything though, so this is not an official statement or something. I am just telling you what I think they will say based on previous history, and what most companies would say actually.

"A key could have hit that, a jacket zipper, we dont know what it is but there isnt any proof that is a manufacturing defect". They may also decide to do something about it to save themselves the likely argument, but I dont think you would be happy with the results if they do.
I’ve scheduled a service appt with them on the app to see what they say. My question as I asked is if anyone has dealt with Tesla with paint defect because right now I’m thinking that because I just got it and have not driven it enough.

I’ve scheduled a service appt with them on the app to see what they say. My question as I asked is if anyone has dealt with Tesla with paint defect because right now I’m thinking that because I just got it and have not driven it enough.

Yes, there are lots of threads here about paint defects on delivery. I cant remember a single one where someone said "I bought my car a month ago..." and something like that was covered though.

Reactions: DanDi58
Consider this; every time you drive your vehicle on the highway (any road really) you risk vehicle damage from rocks varying in size from grains of sand to large gravel and other debris. Driving 150 miles (round trip) to have Tesla attempt a paint repair (not their strong suit) does not appear to have a great chance of success.

I apologize. I thought you pluralized month.

No worries (and thanks).

I hope they take care of it for you. Given your distance from the service center, I was just offering an opinion on what I think they would do. I have seen some pictures of Teslas paint chip repairs and lets say they tend to leave a lot to be desired, in general, unless they farm it out to a body shop or something.

Consider this; every time you drive your vehicle on the highway (any road really) you risk vehicle damage from rocks varying in size from grains of sand to large gravel and other debris. Driving 150 miles (round trip) to have Tesla attempt a paint repair (not their strong suit) does not appear to have a great chance of success.
I may just bite the bullet and use a repair kit from what everybody is saying.

If a little chip bother u this much. I would just PPF the whole car. Just pay up.

I did the front bumper only and after 30k miles, still look as new. My hood tho, has maybe a tiny chip. Rest of my car is still in mint condition. But I’m very careful where I pack and my surrounding. I would park at the back if i have to. Or at the 3rd or 4th floor if the store is on the first floor. Just bc no one is there. lol

funny thing is, just came back from a camping trip with family And kids. kids was playing around and running around with water guns. I noticed a deep scratch in my front bumper…. Lucky I had PPF. I rub it real hard and it came off. Without PPF, will be my first scratch and there’s nothing I can do about it. After that, I moved my car away from the kids. Lol

Lots of dealers have cameras everywhere so paint chip complaints get sorted out very quickly - often by the service writer just saying " well let's check the camera recordings from delivery day or when you dropped the car off for service.

I had the 'damn it I opened the hatch in the garage' chip on the spoiler area of my car and used the Tesla paint repair kit. Worked very well. Not noticeable unless you know where to look. I agree with others that this is unlikely to be covered after a month, and it certainly isn't a hill I would die on in fighting with Tesla. Keep that for when you need a loaner for something. :cool:

I’m pretty sure a rock

You'd be surprised. A couple of weeks ago my wife drove past someone cutting their grass a rock hit the rear side window - put a small chip in it but luckily didn't crack or break. It's unusual but very possible to have other vehicles throw rocks in all kinds of directions.

It's almost certainly had an impact or scrape of some sort. It could be any number of things but that spot does look like the exact spot where someone wearing a ring might grab the trunk lid to pull it down, if they don't know about the handles...