Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple M3Ps dropping out of Track Mode for no reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not of too much help but first event of the year I had the car drop out of track mode on first AutoX run. Worried it might be related to the billet uprights and ABS sensors, I pulled the USB (Got idea from this thread), and ran again. Ive done ~75 more runs and it hasnt happened again with USB still unplugged.

Update - Tesla are looking into it. I reviewed some of the .CSVs from the cars with the issue and there are chunks of data missing and corruption at the end of the file sometimes.
Also it's seems unplugging the USB drive didn't stop it from dropping out, but maybe a bit less than when plugged in.

I still find it odd there aren't any other reports of what we experienced. Our cars are on the whole early ones made in Fremont, so shouldn;t be any hardware differences to early U.S. ones. Maybe there just aren't many owners using Track Mode?
I've experienced 4 cases of this. Two of them on the same track day recently.

The first I think was when the brakes overheated. The car flipped on the hazards and took itself out of track mode.
The second I don't recall the details.
The third and fourth involved a red flag lap, me turning on the hazards, and it taking itself out of track mode.

My theory has been twofold:
1. certain situations causes the car to "be upset" and turn the hazards on
2. whenever the hazards are used the car takes itself out of track mode

In all cases there was an audible warning and likely something on the screen, but it dismissed too quickly (at 80+ mph) to read and there's log for me to look at.

2018 M3P, delivered in June 2018 IIRC

Not of too much help but first event of the year I had the car drop out of track mode on first AutoX run. Worried it might be related to the billet uprights and ABS sensors, I pulled the USB (Got idea from this thread), and ran again. Ive done ~75 more runs and it hasnt happened again with USB still unplugged.
Someone here tried that when we first saw the issue back in February. He reported it still disengaged, but not as often. It may be that the added load of writing the data to the USB is making things worse, but the root cause is still there.

I've experienced 4 cases of this. Two of them on the same track day recently.

The first I think was when the brakes overheated. The car flipped on the hazards and took itself out of track mode.
The second I don't recall the details.
The third and fourth involved a red flag lap, me turning on the hazards, and it taking itself out of track mode.

My theory has been twofold:
1. certain situations causes the car to "be upset" and turn the hazards on
2. whenever the hazards are used the car takes itself out of track mode

In all cases there was an audible warning and likely something on the screen, but it dismissed too quickly (at 80+ mph) to read and there's log for me to look at.

2018 M3P, delivered in June 2018 IIRC
Very interesting re: the hazards. Maybe the turn signals/hazards are also contributing to the disengagements?
It's just too random though to see an obvious pattern.
I spent a good hour one day driving around my loacal roads trying to get a disengagement I could capture on a camera pointed at the display. Didn't happen.
A couple of days later, I tried again and got one after just 1 minute after setting off.

The display seems to act in the same way each time it happens, as seen here: