Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple questions about my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 well into sleep mode after a recent software upgrade. So, Tesla towed it and sorting it out. In the meantime I get a message that the coolant cap is missing. I have not had the car out with any service dealer and I have no clue as to where it is. The last time it was out was when Tesla changed the air filters because of the funky smell. The cost of the cap is $25 and the install charges is 175$ . So. How do I know that I am getting my car back with all the parts?
And the next issue was an alert display regarding the safety restraint fault. I have buckled a dog car harness and they said the 12 volt battery wire is cut because of the dog pulling the harness. so, I asked them to suggest a proper way to secure the dog and he just shrugged his shoulders and asked me to check online . Since I was asking a lot of questions regarding this and the funky smell that only my car gets ( and not my daughter’s car) he said that he had other things to do and “go home”. I think such people can just stay home and give the job to others who are in need.
since I did not get answers from the salesman, I am putting these questions out here.
1. Is it possible to access the coolant cap easily?
2. What dog harness can be used which does not buckle into the seat and cause it to cut the wires again when my dog pulls to come forward ?
3. why does my car keep getting the funky smell right from 6 months when I bought my car . My daughter’s car never gets it. Both are parked
In the same garage ?

1. If I am correct the coolant tank is right next to the 12v battery in the frunk, not hard to reach just have to remove the frunk plastic, i would check that before even buying the part, it might be there just loose.
2. if I understood you correctly you are attaching your dog to the seatbelt, I would connect the leach or harness to the metal arch at the crease of the seat where you connect a child seat
3. the smell is just bad luck on your car, it has been discussed running the air without the AC actually on when you get home for a little bit to dry all the lines, the smell is due to condensation

1. Is it possible to access the coolant cap easily?
This video shows it (note depending on what year instructions may vary). If I'm understanding correctly the car is still in Tesla's possession right? If so, why not send them a message about it given presumably they forgot to put it back. That part is not considered user serviceable, so really it'll only be removed by service.
Service manual reference also:
Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: COOLING SYSTEM (CHECK AND FILL)
2. What dog harness can be used which does not buckle into the seat and cause it to cut the wires again when my dog pulls to come forward ?
Which wire are they talking about? Did they show it to you?
Is it the front wire like here?
Safety restraint system fault - Fixed
Really depends on how your harness attaches, hard to say without pictures.
3. why does my car keep getting the funky smell right from 6 months when I bought my car . My daughter’s car never gets it. Both are parked In the same garage ?
Long thread about it here:
UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]
Has to do with condensation on the evaporator. There was a software update that was intended to address it (basically have fan running some time after parked to dry it out), but that only helped some cases. Some were able to get the filter replacement covered under warranty, but not everyone had that luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl