Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault - Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I posted in another thread a few weeks ago about an error I had been getting every time I drove my relatively new model 3. Previous threads have said that it’s a software bug, while others had to get the entire affected seat replaced. I figured I’d post the solution to my issue as diagnosed by the mobile ranger, for future reference Incase anyone runs into the same problem. The safety restraint system fault made my car think that I wasn’t wearing my seat belt, and therefore I was also unable to use cruise or auto pilot.

The mobile service ranger came out, and discovered that the seatbelt sensor wire had been misaligned. As a result, the wire was likely pinched like this from the factory and only got worse with use/moving the seat. May be worth while for new model 3 owners to take a flash light and check their seats. It’s visible from the rear seat footwell area for both from seats.

iMBUoeP.jpg

smf7lQL.jpg

YIeHndm.jpg

How did you choose to call the ranger option from the app ? How long did it take the ranger to come and fix it ?

I have same issue since almost 4 months. For me it does allow me to use all AP features. Don’t want to go to SC to fix it since it’s hour away.

How did you choose to call the ranger option from the app ? How long did it take the ranger to come and fix it ?

I have same issue since almost 4 months. For me it does allow me to use all AP features. Don’t want to go to SC to fix it since it’s hour away.

I wasn’t given an opportunity to choose mobile vs SC, the app identified it based on my location and selection of “alert appeared” as my reason for service. Took about 3 weeks from when the alert appeared to when the first available appointment was for me, but the ranger was done within 30 minutes.

Same issue in NC. just popped up in the last few weeks. seems to be focused to rear driver side seat as it only alerts if my daughter sits on that side. I have a scheduled field tech coming to my house Nov 7. I will definitely have him check them all..
Thanks and will report back

• Funny
Reactions: aasandsas
I had this same thing happen to me. Is it not covered under warranty? I have yet to pick up my car from service but the invoice is stating it’s a $177 fix. $50 for parts, the rest labor.
i just received an estimate for 278, what was your estimate if you dont mind me asking? it looks like they are charging me 87.50 for "general diagnostics", did they include that in your estimate?

Hey guys,

I posted in another thread a few weeks ago about an error I had been getting every time I drove my relatively new model 3. Previous threads have said that it’s a software bug, while others had to get the entire affected seat replaced. I figured I’d post the solution to my issue as diagnosed by the mobile ranger, for future reference Incase anyone runs into the same problem. The safety restraint system fault made my car think that I wasn’t wearing my seat belt, and therefore I was also unable to use cruise or auto pilot.

The mobile service ranger came out, and discovered that the seatbelt sensor wire had been misaligned. As a result, the wire was likely pinched like this from the factory and only got worse with use/moving the seat. May be worth while for new model 3 owners to take a flash light and check their seats. It’s visible from the rear seat footwell area for both from seats.

iMBUoeP.jpg

smf7lQL.jpg

YIeHndm.jpg
Did you pay for the service? If so, how much?

I have same issue since almost 4 months. For me it does allow me to use all AP features. Don’t want to go to SC to fix it since it’s hour away
Same, but our service center is 5.5 hours away!

I noticed the icon on the way home from picking the car up, and I kick myself for not stopping.

Here's a question: If the fault is the same, would the airbag work in an accident??

Screenshot_20221106-110435_Tesla.jpg

Just had this happen and tells wants over $500 to fix it.

The worse part is that they already fixed it 2 time prior.

One time under warranty and another time out of "good will".

Now they want me to pay for something they should have fixed the first time.