Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both rear WSS and front end harness wires cut - a Nancy Drew Mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for help with a mystery, please. 🤔

Upon returning home from the Tesla service center (right rear WSS had broken in half and was replaced under warranty), the next time I powered on my 2020 Model 3 I received all the same error messages as prior to the repair - ABS, braking hold, lane departure, regen braking, tire pressure monitoring all disabled, plus a new error that the vehicle restraint system was also disabled. Upon returning to the service center, the technician found that three separate wires had been cut - left rear wheel speed sensor, right rear wheel speed sensor, and front end harness. I saw the cut wires and all parties agree that these wires were cut, this was not damage caused on the road or from debris or by rodents chewing, the wires were cut.

In order to try to figure out where and when this happened (no events were recorded by any cameras, vehicle was in a locked area at home), my question is... how soon after the wires were cut would I see the associated error messages? Would the error messages display immediately? Or could the car have been driven with the cut wires and no immediate error messages displayed until the next power up/drive?

Somebody mistook those wires for your brake lines :oops: .

Agree with @MP3Mike that those errors should probably be immediate with the next time you start the car.
Yikes. If the errors are immediate, it really is a Nancy Drew mystery. The only place it was parked where anyone else had access to it was the offsite lot that the service center parked it in after they completed their work. At home it was locked up with zero possibility of getting to it undetected. Unless you're James Bond. Or me, sleepwalking with wire cutters after disconnecting the security cameras.

Yikes. If the errors are immediate, it really is a Nancy Drew mystery. The only place it was parked where anyone else had access to it was the offsite lot that the service center parked it in after they completed their work. At home it was locked up with zero possibility of getting to it undetected. Unless you're James Bond. Or me, sleepwalking with wire cutters after disconnecting the security cameras.
Or somebody has sharpened the teeth on some rodents and trained them to infiltrate your garage and "cut" the wires on your car. 🤣