Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Murdered out TESLA MODEL S LEASE TURN IN QUESTIONS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I've been leasing a TESLA MODEL S P90 for the past 30 months and was exceedingly happy with it. So happy I just got a new one. However, My old lease is expiring and I'm suddenly faced with a conundrum.

I had the car Chrome Deleted and murdered out. This means:

All chrome covered in a black wrap
Windows Tinted
Headlights smoked
etc.

It looks Awesome (see photo below)

Turns out it was easier to qualify for a new lease than a purchase agreement on the car, which is why I now have a small challenge. Since this is my first leased Tesla (I owned the previous 2 outright) I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on the following:

- Will they freak out and charge me and should I make arrangements to have the tinting and plastic removed?
- Can I switch the smoked headlights, red calipers, sunroof? , etc with my new Tesla (i.e. are they interchangeable?) should i have someone swap them before turning in the old car?

What will the charges be for these mod's... (oops I should have thought of this)

Best
Tesla-Model-S-85-XPEL-Stealth-car-wrap-back-s-490x303.jpg

I would get everything removed and the car put back to 'factory' condition. If it is modified, then the car is not the same car they leased to you, so they will charge you to make the car the way it was. You agreed to take the car for a period of time, and then return it in the condition that it was presented to you.

I had a car that I put a third party radio in. They told me that even though the third party radio was functionally superior to the factory radio, there still would have been a significant surcharge to replace the radio back to factory.

This is why you should never lease a car that you are planning on 'tricking out'

Definitely look at the lease buyout. If the price is higher than what you can buy used on ev-cpo then turn it back in. Be sure to ask them (usually an inspection service company) what is allowed. If the price is low to purchase the car....definitely look/ask around at what you could sell it for. Don't expect to get your mod $ back but it some cases it can cinch the deal.

CPO programs always remove any modifications, hence they charge for it. One big reason is they don't want to warranty and/or fix any third party options. Pretty standard to return the car to factory condition. If not done by the lessee before return, the cost of professional restore to factory specs is added as a return penalty, like the extra mileage.

One option would be to have Tesla inspect and estimate their cost to restore the car, then decide whether you want to restore it yourself for less, buy and resell the car yourself, or just buy and keep it.

PS> Given all the mods you listed, I would be worried you might get "murdered" on the restore costs. :p

• Funny
Reactions: Vitaman