Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk's "worst few weeks" - I don't think it has been.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How bad has it really been for Elon Musk this last month? The worst weeks ever?
Let me remind people about his infamous previous "worst few weeks". Christmas 8 or so years back (2008?) when Tesla nearly folded (it had to convince investors for more funding and Elon had put in his last bit of personal savings) - and 3 SpaceX rockets had exploded, and the US was in recession, and he had gone through a divorce with his 1st wife - and in his own words "was that close to a mental breakdown"
But in the recent press conference for v8. This was said:

Michael Ballaban – Jalopnik
Hey Elon, thanks for taking this question. Yesterday you tweeted that it had been an unusually difficult couple of weeks. Was that just a reference to the SpaceX launch pad fire or was there something else going on?

Elon Musk – Tesla CEO
It’s just been a lot. We are still getting a lot of flak for the whole SolarCity thing which I think is unreasonable and you know, there’s a lot effort on the Autopilot, on the Model 3 development and getting the factory for the Model 3, and then the rocket exploding… [pause] … the worst few weeks ever really.

Transcript here.
Transcript: Elon Musk’s press conference about Tesla Autopilot under v8.0 update [Part 6]

He has recounted it a few times - so he's not forgotten it! It's in his autobiography as well as about 3 youtube interviews - he's done a bad job of blanking it out :) It's his usual go to for "that was the worst time".
It's likely with the alleged request for "more time" in getting back to the NHTSB (?) that he's been quite heavily involved in that and the switch to radar. He commented in that press conference I linked to that he did some of the alpha testing of v8.