Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musty smell when starting model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've had my Model S for about 2 years. Over the last 4 months or so, when I start the car, I get a musty smell coming from the air vents. It goes away after about 2 mins. It happens every time I start the car, and I have already changed the cabin filter. It is a similar smell to if you put wet clothes into a drawer, which I think is called "musty". Anyone have any ideas?

Any chance you're in a high-humidity area? Anyway, the A/C evaporator in the cabin gets condensation when the A/C is running. In some areas, this can form mold which is the musty smell you're getting, even if you're using heat now. One cheap fix is to run the fan at max, non-recirculation, and spray Lysol in at the air intake (open the frunk - near the windshield). This may work better if you don't have the filter in place. Run the spray for 10-15 seconds, and then keep the fan going for a few minutes.

Service can do a more extensive clean that should take care of it. Others may have good suggestions.

Both our S and Y developed a smell over time, crazy thing is they have two totally different smells. The Y has wet sock smell and the S has a musty smell. I have used a product called Kool-it eval cleaner from a local auto parts store. It used to be under 15$ CDN. It foams and has a long tube applicator to reach down through the vents. Seemed to work, but the S would have it annually in the summer, after problem free the first 4 years.
The Y has yet to be treated, with the heat pump, it doesn't develop the high heat that the older electric heaters do to "cook" the smell away.
Really some smart programming is needed to dry the system out after each use. I am sceptical that just changing filters would remedy the smell, once you have it, it is very difficult to completely eradicate it.