Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How pervasive is the HVAC “smell” issue in the PNW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understanding that the problems of "stinky smells" in the HVAC can be mitigated by manually running fans, and being vigilant about keeping moisture from collecting in the coils…

Ideally I would like to find out if the vehicle , Unaided by the user taking "extra" precautions, if it is handling the perceived issue by itself more often than not or giving anyone trouble in this climactic area? And to what extent if it can even be ascertained...

How common is this problem with the level of humidity and atmospheric conditions that are typical here, and more specifically on the west side of the Cascades not in the rain shadow, as I assume higher humidity might be part of the issue people report with these?

Anyone that predominantly parks their vehicle outside in the weather, and frequently makes trips to the coast and to the mountains in the winter (presumably introducing more moisture into the cabin for the condenser and HVAC system to deal with) have any feedback or experiences they could share?

Specifically interested in the Model 3 and I assume the Model Y might be reasonably similar to the Model 3 HVAC system. Read it happens on S/X also... but I think far less than on the Y and specifically the 3, which I have read many Many threads complaining about perpetual stinky HVAC smells that continually return even after repeated cleanings of the coils and multiple replaced filters.

Is that issue overstated on the Model 3? And if not, how much of an issue is it in the PNW/Portland Oregon specifically?

How difficult is the HVAC smell problem to Completely Prohibit given the conditions detailed above?

Different noses, different sensibilities… I personally can't stand that dirty-sock aroma from a condenser's coils after the compressor is shut off, and I've never seen a system "handling the perceived issue by itself" (or even making claims to do so) – so I'll deliberately run the fans sans AC for at least a few minutes before intending to shut it off; that effectively mitigates the microbial growth that causes the smell (it'll smell a little bad for the first couple-ish minutes, then dissipate sequentially).

But yes, it is very much a problem in this climate – regardless of make/model of vehicle/AC.

Reactions: rotarypower101
2019 Model 3, parked outside typically. I change the air filters every year, never had an issue with weird smells and I've never cleaned the coils yet... Maybe I have a bad sense of smell or just am not sensitive to it? No issues with the 2023 either but I've only had that one for a year.

I park my Y outside 24/7 and had the stinky heat issue once it started getting humid. Getting new OEM filters eliminated 99% of the odor. First thing on a damp morning I'll get a little whiff, but it goes away almost immediately.

The OEM filters have a sanitizer added a few years ago, since the heatpump heater doesn't get hot enough to kill bacteria like a PTC heater does. I think the yellow filters have no sanitizer and the white filters do. I've had a few friends try 3rd party filters without as much success. It seems like there's something special in the OEM filters that works better. It's $34 for a set from Tesla. Really reasonable pricing.

Different noses, different sensibilities… I personally can't stand that dirty-sock aroma from a condenser's coils after the compressor is shut off, and I've never seen a system "handling the perceived issue by itself" (or even making claims to do so) – so I'll deliberately run the fans sans AC for at least a few minutes before intending to shut it off; that effectively mitigates the microbial growth that causes the smell (it'll smell a little bad for the first couple-ish minutes, then dissipate sequentially).

But yes, it is very much a problem in this climate – regardless of make/model of vehicle/AC.
Yes. It's bad. Is there a way to have the HVAC system do this running of the vents without AC after leaving the car? I would think this would be an easy software add-on.

I have it, but it smells more like vinegar than dirty socks. And vinegar is less objectionable. It first occurred at maybe 12 months. I had Tesla change the filters back in March, and that eliminated it for a while, but it's back again.

However, as for you exact scenario, that's not me. I'm in Seattle (well, King county), park it indoors at night, and have never driven it to the coast.

PNW wet side checking in here, park outside... On my 23 Y I haven't noticed any stink. The car seems to run the fans for about 15 mins every time I park and get out which I presume is it drying out the system?