Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX won't wake after update...help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the model X needed to be on a flat bed tow truck. I think I read that in the owner's manual. When I had mine towed to the SC I requested a flat bed only. I hope by towing it that no damage was done. Or am I being a little OCD.
If you look closely at the picture, all four wheels are off the ground. Because the car is AWD, your can't just leave it in neutral with 2 wheels touching the ground and making them spin. In the picture, it doesn't seem to be the case that anything is touching

Any updates on this yet? Want to hear how it ends... ;)

Sorry, should have posted this earlier. Here's the writeup from the service invoice:

Reviewed vehicle log data. Verified customer concern. Found firmware updates pausing when attempting to install and shutting down vehicle operation. Found vehicle 12V battery in need of replacement due to being unsupported. Performed replacement of 12V battery. Examined vehicle data with Service Engineering. Found corrupt gateway file causing firmware to fail. Corrected file and pushed firmware to vehicle. Verified firmware loaded successfully. Performed additional function testing. Verified vehicle now operating as expected with no faults or alerts present.

Had an excellent experience with the Tampa service center. Glad to have my car back!

Reactions: Spelly88 and aagosh
Thanks for sharing this story. I have a feeling these sorts of issues will happen more. Anytime you update the core software of something, you can risk some unforeseen issue bricking the item. I am sure this not terribly common, but it gets expensive to keep fixing these things and Tesla needs to get much better to control costs.

I think that is unlikely. File corruption can occur on any number of factors, but the protocols that are used to transfer those files have error checking (or should) to ensure that it has been copied correctly. Another check would normally be completed prior to actually performing the update to ensure the integrity of the file. There would be multiple checks before a file is updated to the firmware or OS. Having said that, if there is a storage failure, so that even though the file itself looks intact and safe, a bad bit on the storage could still cause a failure when writing that file to memory.

I am no programmer, so they would know better than me, but have worked in IT for a few decades.

I have watched some videos on folks who have hacked their vehicle's computer and found that the system defaults to full logging of the Linux based OS that they use. This is WAY overkill and can speed the failure of flash memory used in the vehicle's computer. I am hoping that Tesla has since addressed that and turned down the logging to something reasonable, but they should also use some more easily replaceable memory so that IF it fails, it does not require a full replacement of the computer.

Flash memory is almost like a Lithium Ion battery. If not cared for properly, it can degrade faster than if it is cared for.

On Monday this week, I had a similar non-responding center screen but the instrument cluster was still working fine. Before getting in the car, I noticed in the app that the battery level read --- and the battery icon appeared totally empty. I tried rebooting a few times and just when I was about to give up, I pushed the brake once more and was then able to finally reboot the car with the scroll wheels. Everything worked fine after that. The next day, I happened to get the 2019.20.4.2 update.

This was the first time I've had such an issue in 2 and a half years of owning a Tesla. In my case, it wasn't related to the installation of any update (although a pending update might've been downloaded). Fortunately my car didn't need to be towed.

Reactions: Daisame