Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MxM4, Continental ProContact RX, PS4S for next tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought some titan 7, 19" wheels that are about 1/2" more offset and 1/2" wider than the stock 19's.

I put PS4S tires on them. Efficiency has taken a huge hit.

I'm considering going back to MxM4's for the next set of tires. While I love the performance, PS4S really throw allot of gravel at the car, to the point where I had to cover the rockers in PPF. Also efficiency is substantially better with the aero wheels and Mxm4s. I'll miss the grip, but seems to MXM compound will put allot less wear and tear on the car and battery?

When I leave work, the first few minutes I hear tons of rocks from the old asphault just smacking the car (until the tires warm up) with the PS4S. With MXM, well I typically don't even hear any rocks.

How do the continental proContact tires stack up to the other two options?

I bought some titan 7, 19" wheels that are about 1/2" more offset and 1/2" wider than the stock 19's.

I'm considering going back to MxM4's for the next set of tires. While I love the performance, PS4S really throw allot of gravel at the car, to the point where I had to cover the rockers in PPF. Also efficiency is substantially better with the aero wheels and Mxm4s. I'll miss the grip, but seems to MXM compound will put allot less wear and tear on the car and battery?

When I leave work, the first few minutes I hear tons of rocks from the old asphault just smacking the car (until the tires warm up) with the PS4S. With MXM, well I typically don't even hear any rocks.

The PS4S is a Max Performance Summer tire (high grip) versus the MXM4 being a Grand Touring All Season tire (low grip for fuel efficiency and all weather driving). I love my PS4S, but I certainly wouldn't want them if I was concerned with max efficiency.

Out of curiosity, what size PS4S did you go with?

The PS4S is a Max Performance Summer tire (high grip) versus the MXM4 being a Grand Touring All Season tire (low grip for fuel efficiency and all weather driving). I love my PS4S, but I certainly wouldn't want them if I was concerned with max efficiency.

Out of curiosity, what size PS4S did you go with?
245/40/19

I mean I do have to sets of wheels, the stock 18s are on right now. Not a fan of the look but I may leave them on until mid February.

Max performance tires will stop the car roughly 30 feet shorter in an emergency stop over the MXM4s at highway speeds.

There's no amount of efficiency lost that'd cost me more $ than one "slamming into the back of another car" accident.

I agree with you and I learned my lesson but now looking for a good set, what tires have the best stopping performance in rain? I bought continental extreme contact dws06, since we have more weather where I'm at, and breaking has been horrid and even caused an accident where I knew even the MXM4s would've prevented.

or would the PS4S be able to stop well in the rain?

I agree with you and I learned my lesson but now looking for a good set, what tires have the best stopping performance in rain? I bought continental extreme contact dws06, since we have more weather where I'm at, and breaking has been horrid and even caused an accident where I knew even the MXM4s would've prevented.

I thought they were one of the best tires for rain.!?

I think the better your stopping power is the worse your efficiency will be (in general).

Still, im tired of lowered efficiency and flinging rocks at my car. I think the wider offset rim on MxM4's might be the ticket for my next set, but I'm not sure how the continentals compare or if there is something else I should consider?

I don't find the PS4s throw much rocks. Now the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires I had on my Camaro 1LE were a different story.

I don't find the PS4s throw much rocks. Now the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires I had on my Camaro 1LE were a different story.
All I know is that I hear rocks from them every day leaving work (old asphalt). Enough that I cringe until I'm on the road. Where as I get just about 0 gravel in the same place with the mxm4s.

Here is my paint after 6 months with PS4S.

FFOS_3jN-BfcxKZXAbdj7humeYawypVKTtRDAc7kpJ7jr22tZelqK8b0BozYT9OK_8FbZ8BD0j_TXDvAz4AOePETesA3-kN0gpkC0OwDNjBP_0coCrCnxgf-Rm6LKViuCH2dVwKXfnZRFoFcKwk-883yDWHrmpFYC16RqTEXzaywFK8ZsxdB-yJD7xsr2IeQ4y_N4LE5azVnQaOkkoEuQ8DFZaMnIcxuM5VEFQ5feLX9RwHDNRCRy5d5Xi4vbcK4ADbi_12akWmUpyeA8oVv6X6iJFgu7PJX_Rz9Q-Q6WHmqOjvIZhWGdxRpzfSjiao5eLYauA90AhxoIze0OIb1FgTBCqIz4cKGdn--KxOx-M6o5j7bd_sdCrlnKSA_lHzvDK54jxN0EafcY_tvZ13bGViH4AALhCLE_wVP3pRS2ZTZX_oBnI1YBPbQ70VnCP5jwSDbQ7RcYwIn-QSkTxlPMrddyy9d7ihUdV-vKh000omYqIQ8MLJTp0OaMAjjZ_TiDFWY_q8m87YO0NX3QbVKEpC_O5RlrqC34IlSmAdKHDYm-aPAJOP6v8R0UbhNAEgEBv3Br2cli7b29Df830KG3BsSBwjnimp0sV8BfFdHymK33wrbC8vnAlq0WdO2yAa3lDPE33ZIr4a3LzR4036kRc9U0qJIVKpcl16KXXP19rgQZv473-i3=w1684-h1263-no

I took this picture while applying PPF to the rockers, but this tells just how much gravel is getting flung by the tires. It's a super noticeable difference to me. For some reason the PS4's seem to fling less gravel when warm, as I don't notice the noise on the way into work, just every time I'm leaving.

All I know is that I hear rocks from them every day leaving work (old asphalt). Enough that I cringe until I'm on the road. Where as I get just about 0 gravel in the same place with the mxm4s.

Here is my paint after 6 months with PS4S.

I took this picture while applying PPF to the rockers, but this tells just how much gravel is getting flung by the tires. It's a super noticeable difference to me. For some reason the PS4's seem to fling less gravel when warm, as I don't notice the noise on the way into work, just every time I'm leaving.

I hear you but this is just par for the course with performance rubber compound. They are summer tires designed for maximum grip to improve performance. The change in temperature of the compound when you arrive/leave work along with the loose asphalt enables the tires to pick up all the loose rocks/pebbles. This is how you know you have sticky performance tires. ;)

My point is that you should see how bad it is with actual track tires that come on some performance cars now by default. You would think the PS4s are not bad at all.

I hear you but this is just par for the course with performance rubber compound. They are summer tires designed for maximum grip to improve performance. The change in temperature of the compound when you arrive/leave work along with the loose asphalt enables the tires to pick up all the loose rocks/pebbles. This is how you know you have sticky performance tires. ;)

My point is that you should see how bad it is with actual track tires that come on some performance cars now by default. You would think the PS4s are not bad at all.
Oh that is true for sure. I mean I have paddle tires on my RzR if you really want to throw sand around :) I'm just interested in what others are doing. While the performance tires are nice, they are chewing my paint and the range impact is there but perhaps some is due to the wheels being 1/2" wider and sticking out farther, I'm thinking the wider wheel may still perform well enough with MxM4 or the continentals (are they better than the MXM?) without giving up so much range and reduce wear on my battery and paint.

AFAIK the PS4s is the best tire performance wise available.... with the Michelin A/S3+ being the best all-season... (and probably your DWS06 next in that category)

FWIW, I'm having Nitto Motivos in the stock 18" size installed this afternoon. Pretty good reviews over all for the things I care about (road noise, tread wear, efficiency, and performance...in that order). Better reviews than the Primacy's at least on TireBuyer.com (4.5 vs 4.0). We shall see...

FWIW, I'm having Nitto Motivos in the stock 18" size installed this afternoon. Pretty good reviews over all for the things I care about (road noise, tread wear, efficiency, and performance...in that order). Better reviews than the Primacy's at least on TireBuyer.com (4.5 vs 4.0). We shall see...
Please let me know how they do once you break them in. I have plenty of time to decide still :)