Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 1964 Corvair Monza EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning a few Leafs, Smart EV, Model 3 and Model Y as my daily driver, I decided to convert (or in my case acquire) a classic EV.

I own and have owned many classic cars over the years and knew that I just drive them around town, never very far, and so any limitations regarding range didn’t bother me. 80-100 miles range and slow Level 2 charging would be fine.

The Chevrolet Corvair is a perfect platform for an EV conversion with the power plant in the rear. Lots of room for batteries in the front and motor, controller, etc in the back.

My original plan was to convert my 1968 Corvair Monza to electric - and I had started to amass various bits and pieces so I could do the conversion myself.

However, I stumbled upon a listing for an already converted 1964 Corvair Monza that just needed a little love. It was priced right and I jumped on it.

I got the car in May 2021 and once I worked through a few minor issues I could drive it around the block which was a start!

Eventually I had to redo the suspension, add a cooling system for the controller, reconfigure the location of some batteries…. Rewire the rats nest of wires behind the dash…. Etc etc.. and now I have a nice grocery getter.

There is still a list of things I want to do and tweak and fix…. but so far so good! A smooth, quiet, fun EV to drive. I don’t get dirty and oily working on it! It’s fantastic.

And. It. Always. Works. Always “starts” and always runs. No bad gas or carburetors or alternators or any number of ICE components to deal with.

Love it! Also fits with the history of the Corvair. GM built several 'Electrovair' prototypes in the 60's that were way ahead of their time. Electrovair II had an AC induction motor, and 40-80 miles or range. Of course the batteries at the time were horrible and made it impractical as a production product. Definitively on my short list of cars for my future classic conversion.

Reactions: Scubamikey
After owning a few Leafs, Smart EV, Model 3 and Model Y as my daily driver, I decided to convert (or in my case acquire) a classic EV.

I own and have owned many classic cars over the years and knew that I just drive them around town, never very far, and so any limitations regarding range didn’t bother me. 80-100 miles range and slow Level 2 charging would be fine.

The Chevrolet Corvair is a perfect platform for an EV conversion with the power plant in the rear. Lots of room for batteries in the front and motor, controller, etc in the back.

My original plan was to convert my 1968 Corvair Monza to electric - and I had started to amass various bits and pieces so I could do the conversion myself.

However, I stumbled upon a listing for an already converted 1964 Corvair Monza that just needed a little love. It was priced right and I jumped on it.

I got the car in May 2021 and once I worked through a few minor issues I could drive it around the block which was a start!

Eventually I had to redo the suspension, add a cooling system for the controller, reconfigure the location of some batteries…. Rewire the rats nest of wires behind the dash…. Etc etc.. and now I have a nice grocery getter.

There is still a list of things I want to do and tweak and fix…. but so far so good! A smooth, quiet, fun EV to drive. I don’t get dirty and oily working on it! It’s fantastic.

And. It. Always. Works. Always “starts” and always runs. No bad gas or carburetors or alternators or any number of ICE components to deal with.

Great Job