Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to set START and END times for low cost overnight charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my Tesla Model S I was amazed to discover that you can't simply set start and end times for charging. You seem to be able to set one or other, but not both. It seems to be tied up with battery percentage and departure time, but what if I simply want to charge as much as possible on available cheap electricity, which is the way I've always worked with my other EVs - and I hear others do too. Setting preconition for departure time is great, but often I don't have a specific departure time (post-covid working practices) I just want the car to fill up on cheap electricity over as many nights as it takes. Every other EV we've owned can do this (Kia, MG, etc) but not Tesla, who are supposed to have the most mature and feature-rich software!! So please add an option to the car or the app (or both!) to allow setting of cheap overnight start and end periods.

Reactions: dakhlkt22
Upvote 0
Yes, this is a basic feature they should have had a long time ago.

But if you are plugging in every day as recommended, you should complete charging within a couple hours unless you drive a lot every day or you are only relying on 120V charging. So just scheduling the charge to start when your off peak rates starts should be more than enough to complete your charge before the rate period ends.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Yes, this is a basic feature they should have had a long time ago.

But if you are plugging in every day as recommended, you should complete charging within a couple hours unless you drive a lot every day or you are only relying on 120V charging. So just scheduling the charge to start when your off peak rates starts should be more than enough to complete your charge before the rate period ends.
I'm still on L1 charging. Just got back from a roadtrip with 20% in the battery. So I have to add 50+ miles per night using off peak charging. It will take 4-5 days to fully charge.

For home charging, there should be a way to set desired (off-peak) time periods.

Then, for immediate charging, offer an option of:
  • Charge during off-peak time periods only.
  • Charge regardless of what time it is to finish as quickly as possible.
For scheduled finish time charging, offer an option of:
  • Charge during off-peak time periods only, even if charging cannot be completed by the scheduled finish time.
  • Charge to finish by the scheduled finish time, minimizing charging outside of off-peak time periods.

FWIW, this now seems to be possible with a Gen 3 Wall Connector if you provision it in the Tesla app:

IMG_9742.png

Reactions: wws