Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Charging Stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I await my home charger to be installed, I am doing the slow charge on 110v. I have only had the MY a few days but I noticed after charging a while I get a notification that 'charging stopped at X%" - which is well below the target charge. I cannot restart charging from my phone when this occurs. I need to unplug the charge cord from the charge port and plug back in to resume charging.

Has anyone else experienced this?

While I await my home charger to be installed, I am doing the slow charge on 110v. I have only had the MY a few days but I noticed after charging a while I get a notification that 'charging stopped at X%" - which is well below the target charge. I cannot restart charging from my phone when this occurs. I need to unplug the charge cord from the charge port and plug back in to resume charging.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Check the 120V outlet you are using for a loose connection. If the wiring insulation has melted or if the receptacle has burn marks then stop using this receptacle. In any case if the outlet is more than 5 years old consider replacing it with a contractor grade or hospital grade outlet. Verify whether the circuit breaker that the receptacle is on is 15A or 20A. If you are on a 15A circuit then you can only charge at the 12A charging rate if no other appliances are also connected, running to the same circuit. Until you can check/change the outlet I would use a different receptacle, only charge at the 8A setting until you figure out if there is a problem with your house wiring/receptacle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for the recommendations. My electrician is coming on the next 1-2 weeks to install the Wall Charger. So the 110v is a temporary solution but you bring up a good point on the outlet. It is probably 25 years old and exposed to the elements so, when he is out, I will have him replace that too. I am not sure the amps on that outlet. There are no burn marks on it today.

Thanks for the recommendations. My electrician is coming on the next 1-2 weeks to install the Wall Charger. So the 110v is a temporary solution but you bring up a good point on the outlet. It is probably 25 years old and exposed to the elements so, when he is out, I will have him replace that too. I am not sure the amps on that outlet. There are no burn marks on it today.
If you have not already done so, consider installing the Plugshare app on your phone. You may find that there are public Level 2 charging stations near to where you live or work where you can charge, some may even be free to use while shopping/dining. Also, Google Maps can help you to find available charging station; just type "electric vehicle charging stations near me" in the Google Maps search line.

Reactions: MrWattson
Just downloaded the PlugShare app yesterday while waiting for my wife to have tests in Philly. I discovered that the hospital had free chargers on each level of the deck with no charges for patients. I could have grabbed some free electrons!

I also do have several L2 stations close to home and the nearest Supercharger is only about 8 miles away. So I amlucky in that if I need a quicker charge, I have options close-by

I returned from Philly yesterday with 34% SOC (left with 84% SOC). On 110v it will take a few days to get back to 85%. However, with COVID19 and work from home...trips are not long distances right now.

One additional question as I observe the charging tendencies is that my car seems to consistently stop charging at 2% less SOC than I set. I set for 85% and it stopped at 83. Today I set for 80% and it stopped at 78%. Not a big deal...but wondering if that is common.

One additional question as I observe the charging tendencies is that my car seems to consistently stop charging at 2% less SOC than I set. I set for 85% and it stopped at 83. Today I set for 80% and it stopped at 78%. Not a big deal...but wondering if that is common.
I have observed my Model Y charging to 3% more than the charging limit that I set. Recently I am seeing my Model Y stop charging at 1% lower than the set limit. Chalk it up to temperature variations or a bad robot.

Reactions: MrWattson