Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car on Friday and I love it. I’m not normally the type to post on forums. I’m a lurker. But with as much complaining (mostly nitpicking, IMO) as there is online nowadays, I thought I should put some positivity out there for those other lurkers that are wondering if Tesla is right for them.

Why I chose Tesla:

I have Jeep for weekends and a Toyota for commuting. My kids are getting their licenses next month, so I decided to turn the Toyota over to them and get a new commuter. I have a really long commute. 65 miles each way, 40 of which are highway ($300+ / month in gas). I started researching hybrids and other efficient vehicles when I came across tesla. I knew what Tesla was and had followed their progress a bit, but was never that interested, because I’m just not a “car guy”, and I just assumed that an EV wouldn’t have the range I needed. Then I went to dinner with a friend who had just bought a Model 3 (LR RWD) and he let me drive it (Tesla owners are the best sales force, by far). I was blown away and from that moment on I had Tesla tunnel vision. I test drove a performance model and was even more blown away. Man, that things was fast! Then I test drove a LR AWD. Man, that thing was fast too! And the handling. Wow! Not being a car guy, I wasn’t able to tell a difference between the performance and LR AWD, other that just a tad of power at take off, so I went with the LR AWD (with the 19” for the sportier look).

The ordering buying and delivery process:

The process isn’t totally pain free and smooth, but it’s still way better than a traditional dealership. I made a few changes along the way, performance to LR AWD, 18” to 19”, black to midnight silver, and each change was a little bit of a chore to make happen, but not too bad. The person I was dealing with changed a few times and it was hard to get a response at times, but once I got in touch with someone, they were always friendly and helpful. What I learned late in the process is that if you call your local sales or delivery location rather than the Tesla 800 number, things get done much more quickly. Once I figured that out, everything went smoothly and quickly. I went from getting my vin to driving away in my car in 3 days. Not bad.

Delivery took a while because of volume, about 3 hours, but still less than the all day process of a normal dealership. The car was perfect, except for a small paint “smudge” on the hood, which they buffed out before I left. According to the service center manager, Tesla’s have more paint issues because they are shipped so soon after being assembled and painted. I guess ideally paint would sit a while before sending the car out and that would reduce flaws. I don’t know. Whatever the case, I left with a perfect car.

The driving experience:

So, I have had the car for a few days and all I can say is that this car is simply amazing. It’s the most enjoyable driving experience I have ever had. I have never laughed out loud from pure joy while driving before, and I have done that several times over the last few days. The speed and handling are like nothing I have ever experienced. I used navigate on auto pilot on my way to work this morning and it worked perfectly.

The only moment I have had that was less then perfect was that the screen froze on my initial drive home. A quick reset fixed the problem and it hasn’t happened since. I read that this sometimes happens when using the embedded music streaming, which I was doing at the time. I have been using my phone for music since, just in case. I also had an update run that night, so maybe that fixed a bug? Either way, I don’t find this kind of thing to be a big deal. We are near the beginnings of this technology, so bugs are to be expected. I think it’s cool to be a part of the beta testing stage. I have already had a handful of people stop me in parking lots to ask questions. I came out of a restaurant yesterday to see a group of teenagers looking in the windows. I didn’t buy the car for the attention, but I must admit I’m enjoying turning heads.

Peace!