Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first Service Center Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR Service Center experience still needs lots of work before innundated with mainstream Model 3 owners.

I had a great experience with my first mobile technician a couple weeks ago, but service center is pretty disorganized. Rockville, MD service center. Here’s my letter I sent to Tesla.
——————

“Hi, I just recently purchased a used model S. I love the car albeit some of the little things here and there that seem to be common issues (door handles, sunroof leaking, etc.)

Reason that I’m sending a note pertains to service on the vehicle. After I purchase the car with a short term left on the warranty, I scheduled a mobile service to take care of some things I noticed. The service and technician were fantastic although there was some things that the technician may have missed when inspecting the car. Soon after, I noticed a few additional things that I (or the technician) didn’t catch the first time. Mainly one of the louvers in the front were not functioning and subsequently I had one instance of a sunroof leak. Reading online that these were common, I decided to report them as well as schedule a 50k service at a service center. I made an appointment and clearly stated what my issues were even saying what I knew what was needed for the repair (including a bezel that the mobile technician must have unintentionally broke)

I have to say everyone at the center was very kind and friendly. Since the center is 90 miles away, I took a day off of work. After they advised me that the repairs may take until the end of the day; I requested a loaner which again, was a good experience.

They informed me my car was finished so I drove all the way back up the following day. I paid for the scheduled maintenance (which the cost is too high for what they provide) and upon walking out to my car realized that both of the issues were not fixed. I looked at my invoice and both were ‘waiting for parts’

Now, I can say that before my appointment I called to make sure they understood what I needed and the parts that were broke and I was assured that the technicians look at service requests and will not schedule me to come in until they know the parts are on hand. So I’m dismayed that was not the case.

Also, during my time waiting for my vehicle; I overheard 3 other people complaining. One for waiting for parts since October, another for being told his auto was finished and it was not and a third for the price of a tire replacement. Now, I probably only spend 45 minutes total in the waiting room.

I really love the car and have been super excited with the success that Tesla has over the short time they have been in business. However as the company transitions from enthusiast, early adopters (like myself) that understand the hiccups of new, innovative products to more mainstream owners the reputation of the service of their car has the possibility of tainting the superior products Tesla produces. I hope that, as Tesla says, that their next step is concentrating on service so other owners don’t have negative experiences.

My suggestion is establishing a policy that informs the customer prior to servicing the car on parts availability or at least updates the customer that parts are not available at the time of identifying they are required for issues that are not easily isolated. Lastly, a status of when parts should be available instead of simply stating ‘waiting for parts’ Thanks for hearing my concern.”

• Love
Reactions: neroden