Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S Odyssey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On March 25th of this year, I purchased a CPO Model S 85D with just about all options (most importantly to me the rear-facing seats) after watching cars on EV-CPO for about a month or so. I took delivery of the car on April 5th and the title showed up a few weeks later. All in all it was a very positive experience and I was now in love with my new (to me) Tesla.

Unfortunately on May 21st (having owned the car for less than two months), I was involved in an accident which caused significant damage to the front-end of my car. While the car did an excellent job of protecting me (the only person in the car thankfully) and I walked away shaken more than anything else, the insurance company decided the car was a total loss despite the fact that everything from a A-pillars back (including the doors) was in excellent condition and there were no airbag deployments. I would post pics of the damage but they are upsetting to me to look at and I wouldn't want to cause anyone else here distress.

This left me in a somewhat unique position. At that point, I had only made a single car payment on the loan for the car. I wasn't too worried about the insurance settlement value on the car as I had GAP insurance on the loan which would cover any shortfall from the insurance payout. The bigger issue was I had no car :)

I started looking on EV-CPO again like I did the first time only to find that the used inventory had dwindled down to almost nothing (especially for ones with rear-facing seats and subzero which were my two must-have options). I wasn't entertaining the idea of a new Model S because I knew the rear-facing seats were no longer offered and I really wanted the free supercharging (not that I use it in day-to-day driving but when I take long trips it's nice to have).

One night while frustratingly looking on EV-CPO, I mistakenly clicked on the 'New Inventory' selection instead of used - and there it was - one car - a single 2019 Model S 100D located in Florida (build date Jan 2019) with all options including rear-facing seats. I talked it over with my better half for a few days and we decided we could handle the payments on it. On June 4th, I purchased the inventory Model S 100D and took delivery of it today. As an added bonus, I was able to take advanced of the free supercharging offer so I don't feel like I lost anything my previous car had. The next step will be getting the DMV info so I can register the car but this has been quite a journey and experience for me.

So all that being said, here are some takeaways:
1. The first Model S I purchased was in Baltimore and I took delivery at the Service Center in Baltimore. It was a mostly positive experience and from order to delivery took about 10 days although I pushed back delivery 3 days.

2. The second Model S I purchased was in Florida and I took delivery in Cherry Hill NJ (after meeting their owner advisor at a local Tesla gallery). This process again from order to delivery took 10 days. I was a little more concerned about this one because the car had to be transported and that seems to be where issues arise but it worked out well.

3. Both orders went smoothly and I was pleased with the process in general.

At the end of the day, I am happy although I am paying a few hundred more a month than I was previously.

TLDR; Bought used Model S, smooth process but wrecked in an accident after two months. Replaced with new Model S, smooth process. Hopefully no more accidents.

I’m glad you’re OK, and back in the driver seat of a Model S.

I must say however I came to read your post because based on the thread title I thought you had somehow made a combination of a Tesla Model S and a Honda Odyssey. :)

Safe travels,

Bruce,

• Funny
Reactions: Tonic750