Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y won’t charge at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joining Horne bot here. Tried several stalls at 2 supercharger stations. Been on the road all day and 300 miles from home

Having been through this myself, my advice is to find a hotel with destination charging, and charge overnight to 100%. In the morning, use Google Maps to plot your route home using the “avoid highways” option. You can take highways if they’re more direct, but keep speeds under 60 MPH to maximize range. PlugShare is a major help with locating level 2 chargers.

Not sure why they routed you to El Paso, there has been a service center near Santa Fe NM on the Nambe Indian Reservation that opened for several months ago. Sorry just noticed this happened in 2020 makes sense now.

I am going to be making a trip through central Texas and plan to charge at a campground in Muleshoe (unless the SC in Lubbock, TX and/or Clovis, NM opens, not holding my breath). I have a 10-50 pigtail attached to my wall connector so hopefully can charge at a rate of 40A+ at the camp ground. I tried this setup at a friends house and charged for over two hours on his 10-50 circuit at 48A. Monitored things during that session and had no problems. I think NEMA code should allow drawing 48A on a 10-50 circuit as long the session is not over four hours? That assumes the campground 10-50 circuits are not marginal as I have read many are!
1) There are now 4 stalls available in Lubbock, V3 Supercharger. They need more, but 4 is a start.

3) The maximum amps you can get through the Mobile Connector is 32A.

4) Electrical standards limit actual amps to 80% of rated capacity, so 24A on a 14-30 or (obsolete)10-30 outlet.

5) No such outlet as 10-50, you'll find 14-50.

NEMA
1) There are now 4 stalls available in Lubbock, V3 Supercharger. They need more, but 4 is a start.

3) The maximum amps you can get through the Mobile Connector is 32A.

4) Electrical standards limit actual amps to 80% of rated capacity, so 24A on a 14-30 or (obsolete)10-30 outlet.

5) No such outlet as 10-50, you'll find 14-50.

Although rare, NEMA 10-50 receptacles do exist. It's an ungrounded 50 amp receptacle and was commonly used for electric ovens before the NEMA 10 series outlets were replaced by NEMA 14 series with ground.

Here is one at my office that was recently installed for an electric welder. I’m a bit surprised they didn’t just re-wire the welder with a different receptacle, but that’s not by department.

BA36B9C4-A1EF-4A1A-9C49-698201986FCA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H