Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My ordering thoughts ... MY-LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just now placed an order for MY-LR, and yes, one would ask why not last week. I was in the process of selling one of our cars (Lexus) which I did, and then my family could not finalize the color, and we wake up Friday and see that #ElonMusk increased price by $1000.

Long story short, I just now ordered, with an expected delivery of November 2021.

Hoping by then the the Federal rebate bill is passed and I can take the $7500 rebate or else I cancel the order. As the Fed bill is near I am sure that Tesla will increase the price more, already lost $1000 and one $500 in June,

Is my risk $100 to cancel or is it anything else? Can someone please chime in.

I would keep the order. You can always delay the delivery if you choose to. In the past orders would be fulfilled between two to seven weeks but we are in different times.

The combination of everyone purchasing vehicles this year and the increased cost of raw materials have created a perfect storm for orders to take at least two months at min. sometimes longer to fulfill. Most vehicle manufacturers have at least four factories, Tesla has only one in North America fully online. In the past, you could look at existing inventory to get a match but demand is so high for new vehicles even the demo cars are flying from the lots in minutes when made available.

Locking an order now guarantees your locked price unless you make changes to the order. You can delay your delivery up to six months so any orders placed now can delay being scheduled up to Jan. 2022 if I read correctly.

Also, the current bill in its form will qualify for a $10K tax credit for Tesla in 2022 but vehicles delivered from May 2021 to the end of the year will qualify for the $7500 tax credit for Tesla. This is just in the bill but only will be set in stone once the bill passes. Things can change but that is the most recent update on it.

Also to note EDD on the website means nothing, really. It will go back and forth like a Tennis match and cause much unnecessary anxiety.

Last edited:
I just now placed an order for MY-LR, and yes, one would ask why not last week. I was in the process of selling one of our cars (Lexus) which I did, and then my family could not finalize the color, and we wake up Friday and see that #ElonMusk increased price by $1000.

Long story short, I just now ordered, with an expected delivery of November 2021.

Hoping by then the the Federal rebate bill is passed and I can take the $7500 rebate or else I cancel the order. As the Fed bill is near I am sure that Tesla will increase the price more, already lost $1000 and one $500 in June,

Is my risk $100 to cancel or is it anything else? Can someone please chime in.
Interesting that you see EDD as Nov 2021 for the order placed just now. For me there is no EDD anymore.

Guess it depends on location, options etc. Mine is the base White model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210726-133424.png
    Screenshot_20210726-133424.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 61
I would keep the order. You can always delay the delivery if you choose to. In the past orders would be fulfilled between two to seven weeks but we are in different times.

The combination of everyone purchasing vehicles this year and the increased cost of raw materials have created a perfect storm for orders to take at least two months at min. sometimes longer to fulfill. Most vehicle manufacturers have at least four factories, Tesla has only one in North America fully online. In the past, you could look at existing inventory to get a match but demand is so high for new vehicles even the demo cars are flying from the lots in minutes when made available.

Locking an order now guarantees your locked price unless you make changes to the order. You can delay your delivery up to six months so any orders placed now can delay being scheduled up to Jan. 2022 if I read correctly.

Also, the current bill in its form will qualify for a $10K tax credit for Tesla in 2022 but vehicles delivered from May 2021 to the end of the year will qualify for the $7500 tax credit for Tesla. This is just in the bill but only will be set in stone once the bill passes. Things can change but that is the most recent update on it.

Also to note EDD on the website means nothing, really. It will go back and forth like a Tennis match and cause much unnecessary anxiety.
Yeah I was all set to order last week but was negotiating my Lexus SUV sale and took time then my family was not sure if they want White until they saw one and agreed by that time $1000 was increased.

Makes sense to wait till Jan 2022 and if I can get $10K and $2k (NJ) it will be a cool $12k off.

BTW I even have heard they might offer lot of people to take Dec delivery and give $2-$4k cash offer to move inventory.

Question is why would anyone take 2021 model vs 2022 just to wait some weeks.

Yeah I was all set to order last week but was negotiating my Lexus SUV sale and took time then my family was not sure if they want White until they saw one and agreed by that time $1000 was increased.

Makes sense to wait till Jan 2022 and if I can get $10K and $2k (NJ) it will be a cool $12k off.

BTW I even have heard they might offer lot of people to take Dec delivery and give $2-$4k cash offer to move inventory.

Question is why would anyone take 2021 model vs 2022 just to wait some weeks.
I have not heard about getting a cash offer to take a quarter delivery. Demand is so high now they will just assign the VIN to the next person in the queue.

Just so you know Tesla does not operate vehicles models by year refreshes as other car manufactures like Lexus, BMW, etc. When an improvement or modification is done they just change it in the line-up after reconfiguring the automation line. For example recently the MY and M3 had radar removed and moved to Tesla vision with the cameras on autopilot. This is why you see users here posting VIN information and it gives an idea of the built date.

A 2021 Model Y from Q1 this year would still have radar but will not include the heated steering wheel and other slight modifications since Q1. This is why many users in the Tesla community rely on the VIN and build date as the vehicle can be changed on several minor things during the entire year of production. Not all Teslas made the same year are equal. So waiting till 2022 hoping for next year's refresh does not happen the same way with Tesla.

The only upcoming change expected with the Model Y is the 4680 batteries Tesla has been developing. Outside of the expecting range and charging improvements we are not really expecting to see these batteries in MY or M3 until at least 2022. My wife asked me if I should wait to get the longer rumored range of 400+, but coming from a BMW i3 with a 75-mile range getting an MY LR now for 320+ is already a large upgrade. Unless it is a must for your needs for most users it is a minor reason to delay delivery.

I work in IT as a system admin and deal with tech changes daily. Tesla operates much the same way. Once you lock on a vehicle there are always R&D features being reviewed and applied to the vehicle that improves both hardware and software. While it is nice to get the new functions we need to ask ourselves does it really matter to us? It is a need or a want? Most of the features of the vehicle are software and once you receive your vehicle it will receive the free over-the-air updates that will continuously improve the car with enhancements and feature updates. 😁

• Informative
Reactions: chand
I have not heard about getting a cash offer to take a quarter delivery. Demand is so high now they will just assign the VIN to the next person in the queue.

Just so you know Tesla does not operate vehicles models by year refreshes as other car manufactures like Lexus, BMW, etc. When an improvement or modification is done they just change it in the line-up after reconfiguring the automation line. For example recently the MY and M3 had radar removed and moved to Tesla vision with the cameras on autopilot. This is why you see users here posting VIN information and it gives an idea of the built date.

A 2021 Model Y from Q1 this year would still have radar but will not include the heated steering wheel and other slight modifications since Q1. This is why many users in the Tesla community rely on the VIN and build date as the vehicle can be changed on several minor things during the entire year of production. Not all Teslas made the same year are equal. So waiting till 2022 hoping for next year's refresh does not happen the same way with Tesla.

The only upcoming change expected with the Model Y is the 4680 batteries Tesla has been developing. Outside of the expecting range and charging improvements we are not really expecting to see these batteries in MY or M3 until at least 2022. My wife asked me if I should wait to get the longer rumored range of 400+, but coming from a BMW i3 with a 75-mile range getting an MY LR now for 320+ is already a large upgrade. Unless it is a must for your needs for most users it is a minor reason to delay delivery.

I work in IT as a system admin and deal with tech changes daily. Tesla operates much the same way. Once you lock on a vehicle there are always R&D features being reviewed and applied to the vehicle that improves both hardware and software. While it is nice to get the new functions we need to ask ourselves does it really matter to us? It is a need or a want? Most of the features of the vehicle are software and once you receive your vehicle it will receive the free over-the-air updates that will continuously improve the car with enhancements and feature updates. 😁
My my my, small world, we also have a 2018 BMW i3 w/REX - get 140 miles in battery and 90 miles in REX after Bimmercode. Lets chat offline, was seriously thinking to sell the i3 and get a Tesla Model 3 - Standard if the tax breaks pass (might cost me $27,500) if I do the booking now and postpone till Jan 2022 (and hoping Fed rebate gets thru).

My my my, small world, we also have a 2018 BMW i3 w/REX - get 140 miles in battery and 90 miles in REX after Bimmercode. Lets chat offline, was seriously thinking to sell the i3 and get a Tesla Model 3 - Standard if the tax breaks pass (might cost me $27,500) if I do the booking now and postpone till Jan 2022 (and hoping Fed rebate gets thru).
Indeed a small world. I have a 2016 BMW i3 w/REX. Lower range but I do use the REX since I adjusted the hold charge with it after Bimmercode. ;)

Reactions: smaster553