Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
6-20 Nema outlet (only average 20-30 miles daily)
Tesla 6-20 Nema adapter
Tesla mobile connector
Tesla cable organizer

Thoughts?

44DAD1C8-E20A-41DD-91A2-AC57018D5122.jpeg

My thoughts are:

If it meets your needs for daily driving then it is perfect :)

It always bothers me when I see someone spend hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars on home charging infrastructure and then you find out they drive 13 miles a day. I drive 50 miles a day commuting but I have charging at work, my home charging is for weekend use... I am an outlier on that though, where I live my "weekend driving" can top 300+ miles in a day so a quick top off at home between excursions needs to be fairly quick. I KNOW that I will be fine with 32 amp 240V charging, but even knowing that the HPWC is tempting.

Keith

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and 1plavs
My thoughts are:

If it meets your needs for daily driving then it is perfect :)

It always bothers me when I see someone spend hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars on home charging infrastructure and then you find out they drive 13 miles a day.

Keith
I almost upgraded my 100 amp panel to a 200 amp based on what a few well known local electricians told me. I had to bring up the 6-20 option to them as they were playing dumb. Wonder why $$$. 🤣

6-20 serves me just fine.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I almost upgraded my 100 amp panel to a 200 amp based on what a few well known local electricians told me. I had to bring up the 6-20 option to them as they were playing dumb. Wonder why $$$. 🤣

6-20 serves me just fine.

When I installed my 32 amp 240V ChargePoint unit for the Bolt, an electrician from work was willing to do the work for $400. I purchased all the parts needed for installation for less than $100 and did the work myself in less than 15 min. I am not a professional electrician, but I was an Electronics Technician (nuclear) in the Navy for 10 years so I am competent to do this kind of work myself.

Keith

When I installed my 32 amp 240V ChargePoint unit for the Bolt, an electrician from work was willing to do the work for $400. I purchased all the parts needed for installation for less than $100 and did the work myself in less than 15 min. I am not a professional electrician, but I was an Electronics Technician (nuclear) in the Navy for 10 years so I am competent to do this kind of work myself.

Keith
How sweet is that. Nice job!

Glad to see it worked out. I see you are OK with backing into your garage to charge.

What about the Model Y; what are your impressions?
Thanks for all of your help as well in the past! Sometimes all it takes is to think of a few missing pieces of the puzzle and to connect a few dots to make sure it’s all the right fit👍

As far as the MY it’s worth every penny. It’s a head turner for sure. I love the power, design, tech and it never seems to get boring as there’s always something new to figure out or to learn about.

Makes sense, the computer system, sensors (ultrasonic and cameras) have to remain active to sense and record events.

Keith
I’m wondering how much of an impact there would be if I leave Sentry Mode on sometimes since it’s plugged in and charging. It’s in my garage so if Sentry Mode is on and all of those things have to remain on to record events does that also mean more electricity is wasted?

I’m wondering how much of an impact there would be if I leave Sentry Mode on sometimes since it’s plugged in and charging. It’s in my garage so if Sentry Mode is on and all of those things have to remain on to record events does that also mean more electricity is wasted?

If it's in your garage, why not get a home nest cam and install it in your garage? That way you can turn off Sentry and you're saving on electricity + time

When Sentry mode is active the Model Y uses ~220W or so of power versus 25W when Sentry mode is not active and the Model Y is sleeping. That's 1kW every 4 to 5 hours (~5kWh every day) is 6% to 7% of the battery used per day. If plugged in the Tesla will periodically top up the battery, this action has charging loses approaching 10%. So you can see how leaving Sentry mode active all of the time, i.e. when parked at home, will cost you some money.

If you have set Sentry mode to off (by default) at your Home, Work or Favorite locations I believe anytime you want Sentry mode to be active at your current location (where the Tesla vehicle is parked) just tap the Sentry mode icon on the screen before exiting the vehicle.

If you have set Sentry mode to off (by default) at your Home, Work or Favorite locations I believe anytime you want Sentry mode to be active at your current location (where the Tesla vehicle is parked) just tap the Sentry mode icon on the screen before exiting the vehicle.
What I’m wondering is does it eat away at my range even if I’m at 80% and plugged in?

Slightly as the Tesla will allow the SOC of the battery pack to fall, perhaps 5 percent (I've never seen this value published), before charging back to the preset threshold.

My recent experience; I left my Model Y inside my home garage, not plugged in, not locked, Sentry mode set to be off at my home location, for 6 days and lost less than 1% SOC per day while I was away.

Reactions: 1plavs
Slightly as the Tesla will allow the SOC of the battery pack to fall, perhaps 5 percent (I've never seen this value published), before charging back to the preset threshold.

My recent experience; I left my Model Y inside my home garage, not plugged in, not locked, Sentry mode set to be off at my home location, for 6 days and lost less than 1% SOC per day while I was away.
That’s my biggest question. I’m not too concerned especially since I’m only be doing this when absolutely necessary at home.