Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mylr range for normal city driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You see a lot of range test done for hwy driving but not for city driving,does the brake regen make for more range vs hwy driving
It’s kind of irrelevant. Range tests are only good if you start driving and don’t stop.

You’ll lose a bit of range warming the car up or cooling it down again and again in the city, if short trips.

You will get better range from the lower speeds due to the minimal effect of wind resistance. The brake regen will help to regain otherwise lost energy from a lot of stop and go.

The Tesla EPA estimated range values for the Tesla vehicles are for a combination of city and highway driving. (The Tesla EPA range values are derived from Tesla battery run down dynamometer (dyno) driving simulation test results, not actual street driving.)

City driving can be more efficient than highway driving due to the lower speeds of city driving. Regenerative braking can recover perhaps 70% of the energy that would lost using friction braking. Regenerative braking does extend range by ~20% in real world driving conditions. When you drive up a hill then you can recover a significant portion of the energy used to lift the weight of the vehicle to the top of the hill (or mountain) when you descend but you cannot recover more energy than you consumed through regenerative braking (unless you start your trip at the top of the mountain.)

Regenerative braking can recover some of the energy that was used to accelerate the vehicle from a stop up to the cruising speed. The time and miles covered while at the cruising speed is not a factor when recovering energy through regenerative braking. When slowing the vehicle using regenerative braking instead of converting the energy contained in the forward momentum of the vehicle into heat (this is what friction brakes do) some of the energy can be recovered and put back into the battery.

Regenerative braking can never recover all of this energy due to inefficiencies when converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. For this reason coasting, rolling in Neutral, to slow and finally stop the vehicle is more efficient than regenerative braking. However, coasting is neither safe or practical when driving on public roads.

Last edited:
I haven't done a 100 to 0 test in my local area because my kids activities always put us on a highway but the few days between trips out of town I don't charge and I can get my rating down into 230-250 easily using my math if I can keep it under 240 the whole time you should be able to get about 340-350 miles of range before hitting 0, obviously you shouldn't drive to 0 but realistically I think it's very possible if you don't go over 55 mph and don't accelerate heavily with good weather and flat surroundings.

Reactions: Phil33