Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 21" Square Stance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my MYP for a year half and during that time I've had two cracked rims and put 30k miles. It's time to get new tires and I've read almost every thread to solve the curb rash and cracked rim problems. I want to keep the 21" and have a set of tires that work for all bay area roads/weather, no swapping summer vs winter here. I was pretty much sold on 265/40/21 - F and 295/40/21 - R but then I wondered why not just go with a squared stance with 265/40/21. I looked through the forum but couldn't find anyone with this setup, is this even a possible option? I've seen squared stance with 275/35/21 or a 255/35/21 setup. Or some have gone to a smaller wheel with 275/40/20. Has anyone done a squared stance with 265/40/21?

it is only possibly if you buy (2) of the 9.5” wide wheels(the ones that are on the front of a performance model, otherwise you cannot do a sqaure setup with two different size rim widths, that is the reason for wider tires in the rear, 275/35/21 works up front and 295/35/21 works in rear, if you go to 40 height then your speedometer will be off since diameter of wheel will be bigger

Or some have gone to a smaller wheel with 275/40/20.

I noticed this YT influencer who went with 20" at the front and 21" at the back,
to improve driving feeling at the front and improved grip at the rear.

Those three videos (with similar content) might be of some interest for your search:

• Disagree
Reactions: pdx_m3s
If you want a taller tire on the same 21" wheels while affecting the speedometer as little as possible, then the correct tire size would be 245/40R21. You would need to trade tire width for tire height to maintain the same overall tire/wheel height. As other posters have said, the front and rear wheel widths are also different. The oem tires are already stretched to the max on the uberturbine wheels so I doubt you can install the more narrow tires on them.

I recommend going with 20" wheels if you want taller tires.

I opted for 18s with 245/50s squared from SportLine. Best performance accessory I could get for my 2022 MYP. DRAGY reports that cut .1x off all my times.
5Ei6neU.png

ulkIoMT.jpg

howQI9U.jpg

And no more fear of potholes/curbs.

Have to ask this questions, I have the Michelin Cross Climate 2 in 275/40/21 on order.
From reading some of the posts I understand 275/40/21 on the rear no issue, but max on front 265/40/21.

Can I get away with 275/40/21 in front as well? Possible spacers bedded?

Can these tires be installed on original staggered rims? Please help me understand. Much appreciated.

Reactions: esteed