Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP in Wisconsin winters/ I need help with tire/wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Tire Rack site the Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires do not come up in the list of winter tires that are compatible with the Tesla Model Y. Possible reasons:

Bridgestone does not offer Blizzak winter tires in size 255 x 245 x 19R or 255 x 240 x 20R,

Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires do not have a Load Index that is high enough, compatible with the Tesla Model Y. Tesla specifies the tires for the Model Y must have a Load Rating of XL (extra load); Tesla specifies the Load Index of the tires for the Model Y as 104 (1984 lbs per tire) with the 19" wheel and a Load Index of 101 (1919 lbs per tire) for the 20" wheels.

Understanding Tires Load Index VS Load Range

Just call or chat online with a Tire Rack representative, they will help you select wheels, winter tires for your Model Y. (I am done.)
thanks for your patience i will do that. :)

One thing to point out to everyone. I live in MO and plan to run a winter tire/rim as I run summer only tires now. You can buy the factory TPMS sensors from Tesla for $75 each. I buy my tires locally as they are usually cheaper than tire rack. Another advantage of buying locally is I get free tire rotations and they will swap the winter/summer setup for free. The pressure sensors are available at the SC. I bought my rims from tire rack but bought everything else locally.

I've been looking at winter wheels and tires for my MYP. The Tesla winter tire package with the Gemini wheels is a decent deal at $2,850. The four Pirelli Sottozeros are about $1,000 and the TPMS sensors are $300 to $400, so you are getting Gemini wheels and mounting and balancing for $362 to $387 per wheel.

Even better is to find someone selling Geminis locally and put your choice of winter tire on them. I'm mostly seeing Pirellis, Continentals, Vredesteins, and Nokians in 255/45/R19. Some other options open up if you go with 20" wheels and 255/40/R20 tires (but they are more expensive) or with alternate tire sizes in 19s or 20s that aren't exactly 28" in diameter.

I went with the T Sportline package with the Sottozero3's. Spent all winter on Mt Hood with 90% snow conditions and they worked very well. The picture is late November, later in the season we had over 10' at the parking lot and about 6' in Government Camp where we were staying. No Chill Mode, just aim and romp (within reason), the car handles very well in the snow, but there the laws of physics that all of us must obey.
Make sure you get the mud flaps installed ASAP, my rear doors are sandblasted. I only got it stuck once on the berm at the end of my driveway. So just clear the berm before you park your car on it. That day was about 8" new snow and berm was deeper and I had to do a 90 degree turn at the berm. I skied 79 days last year and all of it was with Tessie.
2020MY at MHM.jpg

Worse expensive winter tire ever Vredestein!!

BEST STUDLESS WINTER TIRE EVER BLIZZAK!!

Either get Blizzak or stay home crying!!
I’m not sure about winter tires but chose Sottozero 2s. We don’t get as much snow as you guys so I was going for a more performance oriented tire than a true 18” of snow tire. If we get anything over 8-10” the city pretty well shuts down. We just stay home as no one knows how to drive in the snow here.