Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP in Wisconsin winters/ I need help with tire/wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have very bad winters and frigid weather here. I have the 21 uberturbines now on my MYP. I want to buy a set of winter tires and wheels, are the 19" Gemini with the pirelli winters okay or what is recommended? Thanks for the help

what about this package but they are 20s
20" Package $2,023.92
Tires: Vredestein Wintrac Pro
Wheels: Enkei Performance XM-6
Is that package from Tire Rack? Check if it includes (4) TPMS sensors or if you have to transfer your existing TPMS sensors.

If you specify your own wheel, winter tire package you can go with this 19" wheel package *

(4) Monte Carlo HLT Wheels (19 X 9.5), $359.92 ea. $1439.68 for 4 wheels
(4) Vredestein Wintrac Pro 255/45/R19, $236.43 ea. $945.72 for 4 tires
(4) TPMS Kit $95 per wheel, $380.00 for 4 TPMS
Total: $2,765.40

Many prefer to go down a wheel size for winter tires as there is more sidewall on the tire to survive encounters with pot holes. The theory being that pot holes are deeper, more common in winter driving.

Is that package from Tire Rack? Check if it includes (4) TPMS sensors or if you have to transfer your existing TPMS sensors.

If you specify your own wheel, winter tire package you can go with this 19" wheel package *

Many prefer to go down a wheel size for winter tires as there is more sidewall on the tire to survive encounters with pot holes. The theory being that pot holes are deeper, more common in winter driving.
the tpms are 100 each it says. i prefer 19s but the package is in 20s. this is all really new to me haha.

the tpms are 100 each it says. i prefer 19s but the package is in 20s. this is all really new to me haha.
Tire Rack's suggested winter tire package for the Performance Model Y has the 20" wheels. (The TPMS sensors are not included in the package price, you can add the TPMS sensors at checkout for an addition $380.)

If you specify that you have a Long Range Model Y then Tire Rack suggests Michelin X-Ice Snow tires with 19" wheels or you can create your own package with the 19" wheels and the Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires as I did in the previous post. The 19" wheels, tires should fit the Performance Model Y with no issues.

You can't get around need to purchase the TPMS kit for each wheel or else moving the current TPMS sensors from your existing wheels which would be a major PITA.

Regardless of what you buy, make sure the load rating of the wheel is sufficient for how you plan to load your car. Also factor in if you might tow a trailer which will put more weight on the rear axle. Many wheels don't have sufficient load capacity for certain loading conditions that you may encounter for your MYP even while being within the GVWR for it.

The Fast wheels could be borderline depending on how you load the car. Many places won't mount tires on your wheels unless they are at least the load rating of the stock wheels. Many Fast wheels I looked at are under the stock wheel load ratings. The 19" Geminis are a safe bet.

Reactions: Dvs76
I live in Wisconsin and got winter wheels and tires immediately after driving in one freezing rain/slush storm. I went with 18" MSW 48 wheels with Blizzaks from Tire Rack. They were about $1900 out the door with factory TPMS sensors. If I wanted winter capable all seasons, I'd get the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I got them for my wife on her Infiniti and they are amazing. Super quiet, yet amazing grip. I will put them on my other ICE cars too when the current tires wear out.

how does this look?

Attachments

• 20210713_141721.jpg
    20210713_141721.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 202
If you like the Tesla 19" Gemini wheel winter tire package maybe you should buy it. The cost is higher than what you would pay for a similar package from Tire Rack. Tesla service will change out the wheels on your Tesla Performance Model Y (not sure what Tesla will charge to swap the wheels.)

Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package
my only worry here is some reviews said these winter tires just are not great. i worry because we have horrible winters and extreme cold.

my only worry here is some reviews said these winter tires just are not great. i worry because we have horrible winters and extreme cold.
You can build your wheel and winter tire package on the Tire Rack web site. I put this configuration together for the Model Y with the Vredestein Wintrac Pro winter tires:

Tire Rack has representatives that can assist you in selecting the best winter tire and wheel package for your needs.

I have really low knowledge of car stuff. I just want to know if this package i have selected will work with my MYP. I really want Blizzaks as i have been told by some friends they are the best for bad winters. The wheels i selected will clear the big calipers and will work well with my MYP? thanks
On the Tire Rack site the Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires do not come up in the list of winter tires that are compatible with the Tesla Model Y. Possible reasons:

Bridgestone does not offer Blizzak winter tires in size 255 x 245 x 19R or 255 x 240 x 20R,

Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires do not have a Load Index that is high enough, compatible with the Tesla Model Y. Tesla specifies the tires for the Model Y must have a Load Rating of XL (extra load); Tesla specifies the Load Index of the tires for the Model Y as 104 (1984 lbs per tire) with the 19" wheel and a Load Index of 101 (1919 lbs per tire) for the 20" wheels.

Understanding Tires Load Index VS Load Range

Just call or chat online with a Tire Rack representative, they will help you select wheels, winter tires for your Model Y. (I am done.)

Last edited: