Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP on Gemini's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kinda depressing that MYP is faster with Geminis than with Ubertutbines.

I hear it is similar on a road course or autocross. The wider rear tires give the rear more grip, so the car understeers in hard cornering compared to a "square" wheel and tire package. I haven't pushed the car since I have only been cornering on public streets, but the explanation makes sense.

Keith

I think the PMY would be even faster with Geminis with better, stickier rubber. Why go to the cost and effort to put Gemini wheels on a PMY only to stay with the stock Continental all-season tires?

Cost for my set of Stock Gemini wheels with tires that have less than 2000 miles on them was less than $1000.

If I go with "real" performance on a budget it will be on 18" TM3 Aero wheels (around $500) new TPMS sensors ($380 new, $300 used) and P0 PZ4 tires in 235/55/18 ($170 each, $680)... total of $1,560 plus tax and shipping or if money was no object P Zero Rosso (Collezione) in 255/50/18's (510.90 each, 2,043.60) on some Martian wheels 18 x 8.5 (499 each, $1,996) total of $4,419.60 (plus tax and shipping). At that point the Gemini's will become the winter set.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: jcanoe
Would Model 3 wheels fit the Y? I thought the hub size was different.

They pre 2021 M3 Aero wheels fit fine on the Long Range but the tires are too small a diameter, their is controversy over weather or not they fit in the back on the Performance.

My feeling is that they may or may not fit in the back (50/50 chance) and that if they don't fit "as is" they will almost certainly fit with some 15mm spacers. If they don't fit I will use washers to space them out (no weight applied, I am not insane) ;) If they fit good when spaced out with washers I will purchase some high quality spacers and use them to mount the rear wheels. Also, the only measurements taken by the guy who said he didn't think they would fit were on the pre 2021 MY3 Aero wheels. The design and load rating changed in 2021, so it is a total wild card weather or not they will fit.

The load rating on the "new" MY3 18" Aero wheels is 750 KG, same as the 20" induction wheels... the pre-2021 MY3 18" aero wheels are significantly weaker.

Keith

Here are my previous results when I was running on the 21" Uberturbine wheels. Full thread here: MYP SOC% vs performance with Dragy!

Sport Mode:

0-60 3.83 sec -0.75% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 3.58 sec -0.75% slope
1/8th mile 7.75 sec at 93.35 mph -0.12% slope
1/4 mile 12.01 sec at 114.18 mph -0.12% slope

Chill Mode:

0-60 7.62 sec -0.27% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 7.34 sec -0.27% slope
1/8th mile 10.31 sec at 72.65 mph 0.27% slope
1/4 mile 15.70 sec at 91.40 mph 0.27% slope

Here are my new results at 100% SOC on the Gemini wheels.

0-60 3.73 sec 1.15% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 3.49 sec 1.15% slope
1/8th mile 7.69 sec at 93.47 mph 0.22% slope
1/4 mile 11.94 sec at 114.54 mph 0.22% slope

Chill Mode:

0-60 7.45 sec 0.09% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 7.14 sec 0.09% slope
1/8th mile 10.19 sec at 73.42 mph 0.12% slope
1/4 mile 15.51 sec at 92.67 mph 0.12% slope

Looks like the lighter wheel and tire package helped in chill mode as well! In the other thread you can see that SOC had zero effect on Chill mode and significant effect on Sport mode... but lighter rolling stock improved both!

Later,

Keith
Hey Kieth,
Very disappointing results. I put Geminis on my performance as soon as I got at home. I was hoping for at least 3/10's of a second off the 0 to 60. I don't have a Dragy yet.
When I change the tire configuration in settings to Geminis the computer completely reboots.
With the Geminis installed can you see if it makes any difference 0-60 if the car is set Uberturbine or Gemini?
Thanks.
Garry

Here are my previous results when I was running on the 21" Uberturbine wheels. Full thread here: MYP SOC% vs performance with Dragy!

Sport Mode:

0-60 3.83 sec -0.75% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 3.58 sec -0.75% slope
1/8th mile 7.75 sec at 93.35 mph -0.12% slope
1/4 mile 12.01 sec at 114.18 mph -0.12% slope

Chill Mode:

0-60 7.62 sec -0.27% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 7.34 sec -0.27% slope
1/8th mile 10.31 sec at 72.65 mph 0.27% slope
1/4 mile 15.70 sec at 91.40 mph 0.27% slope

Here are my new results at 100% SOC on the Gemini wheels.

0-60 3.73 sec 1.15% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 3.49 sec 1.15% slope
1/8th mile 7.69 sec at 93.47 mph 0.22% slope
1/4 mile 11.94 sec at 114.54 mph 0.22% slope

Chill Mode:

0-60 7.45 sec 0.09% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 7.14 sec 0.09% slope
1/8th mile 10.19 sec at 73.42 mph 0.12% slope
1/4 mile 15.51 sec at 92.67 mph 0.12% slope

Looks like the lighter wheel and tire package helped in chill mode as well! In the other thread you can see that SOC had zero effect on Chill mode and significant effect on Sport mode... but lighter rolling stock improved both!

Later,

Keith
There are people getting 11.8 to 11.9 out of the Y performance with the Uber turbines. The only advantage of Gemini wheels is that your tires are a lot cheaper. Cost me 1040 dollars to replace 2 back tires at 22,000 miles On my Y performance😭 Ouch. Thanks for the results and posting them.

They pre 2021 M3 Aero wheels fit fine on the Long Range but the tires are too small a diameter, their is controversy over weather or not they fit in the back on the Performance.

My feeling is that they may or may not fit in the back (50/50 chance) and that if they don't fit "as is" they will almost certainly fit with some 15mm spacers. If they don't fit I will use washers to space them out (no weight applied, I am not insane) ;) If they fit good when spaced out with washers I will purchase some high quality spacers and use them to mount the rear wheels. Also, the only measurements taken by the guy who said he didn't think they would fit were on the pre 2021 MY3 Aero wheels. The design and load rating changed in 2021, so it is a total wild card weather or not they will fit.

The load rating on the "new" MY3 18" Aero wheels is 750 KG, same as the 20" induction wheels... the pre-2021 MY3 18" aero wheels are significantly weaker.

Keith
M3 18" Aero wheels will NOT FIT over the rear brake calipers on a MYP.
They DO FIT over the brake calipers of a MYLR. Clearance is there is only just ok.

I just had some TSportLine 18s installed to replace the 21” UTs. One TPMS isn’t registering so I need to sort that out before I do any testing with my DRAGY but I love the feel of the car with the 18s and on the 20 miles I have driven I can tell they are more efficient than the 21s.

Aside from looks not sure what the 21s bring to the table for street use as a DD year round.

M3 18" Aero wheels will NOT FIT over the rear brake calipers on a MYP.
They DO FIT over the brake calipers of a MYLR. Clearance is there is only just ok.
Yup... but we know that other 18's fit, so it is most likely a spoke design issue... so now "would they fit with some 15mm spacers" is the new question :) I have a set of Tsportline 18's now, so it is not an urgent question for me, but I would still like to know.

Keith

There are people getting 11.8 to 11.9 out of the Y performance with the Uber turbines. The only advantage of Gemini wheels is that your tires are a lot cheaper. Cost me 1040 dollars to replace 2 back tires at 22,000 miles On my Y performance😭 Ouch. Thanks for the results and posting them.
Ahhh, but are they fat bastards like me on unprepared public roads, or are they skinny dudes on a prepared drag strip surface? In any case, not all cars perform identically and I may have lost the luck of the draw on strait line acceleration with mine... but I did go faster on Gemini's with stock Gemini all seasons than I went on Uberturbine's with the stock high performance summer only tires. Only by 0.05 seconds, but when you are on one side of an 11 and the lighter wheels and tires put you on the other side of that 11 it counts :D

Keith

Reactions: Bossdaddy
Yup... but we know that other 18's fit, so it is most likely a spoke design issue... so now "would they fit with some 15mm spacers" is the new question :) I have a set of Tsportline 18's now, so it is not an urgent question for me, but I would still like to know.

Keith
Spacers would NOT work.
It's the ID (Inner Diameter) of the M3 Aero wheel that doesn't clear.
A spacer would just push the wheel out, not increase the ID.

3rd party wheels CAN work, such as Martian Wheels or Method Wheels (both of which I've seen and tested).
But you need confirmation. Don't just go on hearsay.

Spacers would NOT work.
It's the ID (Inner Diameter) of the M3 Aero wheel that doesn't clear.
A spacer would just push the wheel out, not increase the ID.

3rd party wheels CAN work, such as Martian Wheels or Method Wheels (both of which I've seen and tested).
But you need confirmation. Don't just go on hearsay.

So, the inner diameter of the M3 Aero wheels is not a tapered design where the diameter is larger at the back and smaller at the face?

Hmmm,

Keith

Ahhh, but are they fat bastards like me on unprepared public roads, or are they skinny dudes on a prepared drag strip surface? In any case, not all cars perform identically and I may have lost the luck of the draw on strait line acceleration with mine... but I did go faster on Gemini's with stock Gemini all seasons than I went on Uberturbine's with the stock high performance summer only tires. Only by 0.05 seconds, but when you are on one side of an 11 and the lighter wheels and tires put you on the other side of that 11 it counts :D

Keith
Thanks for responding. Those times come from Drag times you tuber here in south Florida 11.9 and Edmunds channel 11.8 not sure about the location. I will be switching to the Gemini wheels in the near future because Tesla will not work on aftermarket wheels and I prefer Tesla service to take care of my wheel and tire needs. Thanks once again.

So, the inner diameter of the M3 Aero wheels is not a tapered design where the diameter is larger at the back and smaller at the face?

Hmmm,

Keith
you know, I haven't expressly looked for a taper, but if it's there it's small.
the bottom line is they clear the MYLR brake calipers, but no way the MYP ones. it's not do-able.
they originally had wheel balance weights near the inner diameter and those would have been right on the calipers.

any spacer would have to be almost as thick as the caliper halves on the outside of the rotors, regardless of the taper.
that would be silly. it's a no-go.

If you decide you like 19" Geminis and decide to keep them I suggest 44 PSI cold tire pressure with the Continental Procontact RX tires for a better more cushioned ride than 42 PSI.

Hi Jcanoe!

Any reason why 44 instead of let's say 10% less than 42 like to 38?

I too have a MYP and bought 19" Geminis, currently running 38 like how I did my 18" setup in my M3 with 10% less than the recommendation on door jam.

Hi Jcanoe!

Any reason why 44 instead of let's say 10% less than 42 like to 38?

I too have a MYP and bought 19" Geminis, currently running 38 like how I did my 18" setup in my M3 with 10% less than the recommendation on door jam.
I experimented with different tire pressure settings on my 2020 LRMY and found that the ride was a bit more cushioned at 43/44 versus the recommended 42 PSI. I set the tire pressure to 44/45 as the weather turns cooler and the tire pressure generally holds to 42 - 44 PSI or higher as the temperature drops.

FWIW Extra Load (XL) tires need to be inflated to 41 - 42 PSI to meet their rated load specification. This is probably not a major issue unless you fully load the Tesla Model Y and/or tow a trailer.

What I have found is that the tire pressure, +/- a couple of pounds of pressure is not as important as the ambient temperature. For whatever reason the factory springs and dampeners become less compliant whenever the outside temperature dips below 70F and the ride suffers.

Reactions: Quantumn
I experimented with different tire pressure settings on my 2020 LRMY and found that the ride was a bit more cushioned at 43/44 versus the recommended 42 PSI. I set the tire pressure to 44/45 as the weather turns cooler and the tire pressure generally holds to 42 - 44 PSI or higher as the temperature drops.

FWIW Extra Load (XL) tires need to be inflated to 41 - 42 PSI to meet their rated load specification. This is probably not a major issue unless you fully load the Tesla Model Y and/or tow a trailer.

What I have found is that the tire pressure, +/- a couple of pounds of pressure is not as important as the ambient temperature. For whatever reason the factory springs and dampeners become less compliant whenever the outside temperature dips below 70F and the ride suffers.
Much appreciated on the detailed response. I will inflate it to 45 as the weather is now becoming cooler.

I swapped my Uberturbines as well because I drive over very rough roads for work as a contractor. I have noticed major differences, the Ubers have superior handling and accelerate much faster. I wish I could keep them on but for daily work driving it makes no sense.

On that note if anyone is looking for a brand new set of Uberturbines with barely 700 miles on them I will be selling these bad boys.