Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Spoiler differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used one 2020 with the black backing and used adhesion promoter and really strong tape, but it’s already starting to lift at the corners.

I’m curious if tesla fixed this with the newer spoilers, and if so, I will have to buy the newest one. It’s not the tape, I think the spoiler itself just doesn’t sit squarely on the trunk li led so it keeps pulling away.

ADBA6DF3-2B38-46C5-BA09-3285CCD227F0.jpeg

I went through 5 spoilers on my model 2018 model 3 (thankfully all covered under warranty) before there was one that tesla mounted on there that didnt lift off on the right side after a couple of months.

I dont have an answer to your question, just feedback on the OEM spoiler fitting or not fitting on my 2018 model 3 Performance. Back then, the spoiler was listed as a feature but wasnt available so they had to mount them "later" when they had them in stock. "later" was about 6-9 months later, and when I got it put on, after 2-3 months the corner would start lifting off.

I would deal with it, get fed up make an appointment, they would look at it and then fit another one on there, rinse / repeat.

I realize this is the model Y subforum, and I am talking about a model 3, but I just dont have a lot of confidence that spoilers not fitted from the factory will fit flush.

I went through 5 spoilers on my model 2018 model 3 (thankfully all covered under warranty) before there was one that tesla mounted on there that didnt lift off on the right side after a couple of months.

I dont have an answer to your question, just feedback on the OEM spoiler fitting or not fitting on my 2018 model 3 Performance. Back then, the spoiler was listed as a feature but wasnt available so they had to mount them "later" when they had them in stock. "later" was about 6-9 months later, and when I got it put on, after 2-3 months the corner would start lifting off.

I would deal with it, get fed up make an appointment, they would look at it and then fit another one on there, rinse / repeat.

I realize this is the model Y subforum, and I am talking about a model 3, but I just dont have a lot of confidence that spoilers not fitted from the factory will fit flush.
Thanks for your advice, it sucks that Tesla couldn’t get this correct right from production. Since yours finally got better, I wonder if you got the better fitting version. Around when did they install the latest one for you? Thanks again!

Thanks for your advice, it sucks that Tesla couldn’t get this correct right from production. Since yours finally got better, I wonder if you got the better fitting version. Around when did they install the latest one for you? Thanks again!

November of 2022, right before my 4 year / 50k warranty expired (which expired dec 4th 2022) lol. Its been good so far, this last one. By now, they usually started pulling up, on the right side (right side if standing facing the trunk as if you were going to open the trunk).

November of 2022, right before my 4 year / 50k warranty expired (which expired dec 4th 2022) lol. Its been good so far, this last one. By now, they usually started pulling up, on the right side (right side if standing facing the trunk as if you were going to open the trunk).
I did some digging around and I think the most recent spoiler after June 2022 is the newer one. But I can’t figure out if there’s an actual difference in shape, or is the backing just a different color. There are currently two OEM model y spoilers in the market and I have the older one with the black backing.

Do you mind taking a picture of the top of the spoiler where it meets the trunk. I think I’m addition to the fit, I may have installed it too high so there’s a small gap on top.

F507AF6C-A415-4DEE-B318-90BD4770A138.jpeg

I bought a used one 2020 with the black backing and used adhesion promoter and really strong tape, but it’s already starting to lift at the corners.

I’m curious if tesla fixed this with the newer spoilers, and if so, I will have to buy the newest one. It’s not the tape, I think the spoiler itself just doesn’t sit squarely on the trunk li led so it keeps pulling away.

View attachment 915743
I just picked up my 2023 MYP last week and my spoiler adhesive on the left isn’t sticking. Noticed it at delivery and made a service appointment already for them to replace it. So… I don’t think they’ve improved them any 😜

I just picked up my 2023 MYP last week and my spoiler adhesive on the left isn’t sticking. Noticed it at delivery and made a service appointment already for them to replace it. So… I don’t think they’ve improved them any 😜
I had to add though that I used a brand new sticky tape from tesla. Also I made sure to not only push it as far out as possible to the edges but I also added some tiny pieces of additional sticky tape to the edges. I then heated up both the trunk and the spoiler right before I stuck it on and secured it overnight with duct tape. I hope it works.

C87365E6-704E-4329-A4FB-71588C7C0020.jpeg

@SteveFromNY , sorry I am just now seeing your request for me to take a picture. I was talking about my model 3, so I am not sure how relevant it is but if you still want me to take a picture I can. TBH im kind of scared to look at it that closely, lol... I am afraid I might notice something I have overlooked since the last time they installed it, and now its outside of warranty.

@SteveFromNY , sorry I am just now seeing your request for me to take a picture. I was talking about my model 3, so I am not sure how relevant it is but if you still want me to take a picture I can. TBH im kind of scared to look at it that closely, lol... I am afraid I might notice something I have overlooked since the last time they installed it, and now its outside of warranty.
No worries, during this recent install, I made sure to push it down as much as possible to avoid any gap on the top so water doesn’t get trapped. If this thing comes off again, I’m just going to look for an aftermarket one, but so far so good. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: jjrandorin