Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nanaimo bound and still rolling.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all my wife and I are in Butte Montana and cannot believe the beautiful country side we are travelling through. Auto Pilot gives you the chance to enjoy the beautiful mountains. Had only a small problem charging in Gillette. My car had a blue snow flake beside the charge bar and was charging very slow. Batteries were very cold and we had to wait for them to heat up. Roads were very slippery in some places but the car handled great. Meeting a lot of great people on this adventure and . look forward to another day of driving tomorrow. Hope to be in Nanaimo in two more days.

Hi all my wife and I are in Butte Montana and cannot believe the beautiful country side we are travelling through. Auto Pilot gives you the chance to enjoy the beautiful mountains. Had only a small problem charging in Gillette. My car had a blue snow flake beside the charge bar and was charging very slow. Batteries were very cold and we had to wait for them to heat up. Roads were very slippery in some places but the car handled great. Meeting a lot of great people on this adventure and . look forward to another day of driving tomorrow. Hope to be in Nanaimo in two more days.
I assume you are staying in hotels -- don't some of them have outlets in the parking lot for ICE block heaters? Plugging into those to charge might be enough to help heat the battery a bit overnight. You wouldn't get much range, but might charge faster in the morning, plus being able to heat the cabin before departing without losing range.

I assume you are staying in hotels -- don't some of them have outlets in the parking lot for ICE block heaters? Plugging into those to charge might be enough to help heat the battery a bit overnight. You wouldn't get much range, but might charge faster in the morning, plus being able to heat the cabin before departing without losing range.
Yes I did plug in to an outlet but still got the snow flake in the morning.

Reactions: BerTX
Regarding slow charging in the cold: try to avoid Supercharging first thing in the morning. It takes about two hours of highway driving to heat the battery up enough to do a full speed charge. It's best to charge at the end of your day before retiring to your hotel room, departing with at least 70% state of charge so that you'll be able to drive far/long enough to warm up the battery before hitting your first Supercharger.