Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate On Autopilot Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall, it's working pretty well, with a few annoyances:
  • Lane changing recommendations need improvement. Will frequently nag you to move out of the leftmost "passing" lanes - which we'll usually ignore in heavy traffic to minimize how many times we do unnecessary lane changes.
  • Tendency to guess wrong on the speed limit resulting the vehicle slowing down unnecessarily, which is bad when you're in the middle of heavy traffic all moving at much faster speeds, and the vehicle behind not expecting you to rapidly slow down
  • Will sometimes wait until just before an exit ramp before recommending a lane change over to the rightmost lane
  • Will sometimes warn you when you are entering a construction zone, but then doesn't provide any warnings that you are still in a construction zone
And, still don't trust the software when the lanes are narrow (usually in construction zones), the lane is close to a traffic barrier, or there are inconsistent or difficult-to-see lane markings.

This is still beta software - anyone using NOAP should maintain control of the vehicle, because the software could make mistakes...

It's more than a party trick. We've done several 200+ mile one-way road trips using NOAP - and it does make driving easier, even though you still need to monitor the AP software in case it makes a mistake.

On our last trip, I got stuck behind a vehicle that kept riding the left passing lane on an interstate highway. The driver would drive around speed limit+5 most of the time, but whenever the driver approached any vehicles in the right lane, would slow down to speed limit-10, which was especially a problem when passing a long line of vehicles in the right lane.

After dealing with this for a while, found an opening to pass the car and get in front, though it required driving for a brief moment above 90 MPH (since the driver, of course, sped up to try to keep me from passing before hitting the next line of vehicles in the right lane).

I forgot to disable NOAP - and was immediately issued a warning that AP would be disabled completely for the remainder of the trip.

For the rest of the drive, being unable to engage AP reminded me of how much easier it was to drive with NOAP engaged...

Is it the same as FSD? No, but like cruise control, TACC or lane keeping, NOAP features do help, even if you have to keep your hands on the wheel and oversee the software.

Overall, it's working pretty well, with a few annoyances:
  • Lane changing recommendations need improvement. Will frequently nag you to move out of the leftmost "passing" lanes - which we'll usually ignore in heavy traffic to minimize how many times we do unnecessary lane changes.
  • Tendency to guess wrong on the speed limit resulting the vehicle slowing down unnecessarily, which is bad when you're in the middle of heavy traffic all moving at much faster speeds, and the vehicle behind not expecting you to rapidly slow down
  • Will sometimes wait until just before an exit ramp before recommending a lane change over to the rightmost lane
  • Will sometimes warn you when you are entering a construction zone, but then doesn't provide any warnings that you are still in a construction zone
And, still don't trust the software when the lanes are narrow (usually in construction zones), the lane is close to a traffic barrier, or there are inconsistent or difficult-to-see lane markings.

This is still beta software - anyone using NOAP should maintain control of the vehicle, because the software could make mistakes...

Just purchased a used 2017 model S, mfg.July 12017...so I missed out on the AP 2.5...ie. no Dashcam ...any way the 30 day trial popped up on the screen with the option to enable..or buy it now..so I enabled it..my question is it seams that most of the 2013 to 2017 model S for sale do not have EAP, are the reports on it not very favorable.

Just purchased a used 2017 model S, mfg.July 12017...so I missed out on the AP 2.5...ie. no Dashcam ...any way the 30 day trial popped up on the screen with the option to enable..or buy it now..so I enabled it..my question is it seams that most of the 2013 to 2017 model S for sale do not have EAP, are the reports on it not very favorable.

I also do not have EAP and still have the Navigate On Autopilot. Tesla wants 10K for EAP and I am not sure what we are getting for this money to be honest. It is not clear. The full auto navigate does not exist yet, I believe.

EAP is available only on vehicles that have the side cameras with AP 2.x hardware. If there aren't any side cameras and the vehicle has AP, then it's an AP 1 vehicle, and will never get EAP.

NOAP should be available only if EAP is purchased - and only available on limited access highways. If NOAP is working on a vehicle without EAP activated, that's either being provided as a short term trial, or a mistake, either way owners should expect NOAP to go away at some point, unless they activate EAP.

NOAP on other roads may come later this year, and will likely require activation of FSD.

The $10K activation cost is likely for the combination of EAP and FSD. Activating EAP after delivery should be less than $ 10K (US).