Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot is not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting the new 28.3 update in my M3 LR AWD and seeing the positive posts on here about the perceived improvements in NOA, I decided to try it on my way home from work today. Based on my experience, I'm not going to be using it again any time soon and if NOA is supposed to be the avant garde of FSD, I'm not convinced we're going to see true FSD for a long, long time.

IMO, there are four major deal-breakers for me:

-- As I believe I've posted before, when NOA guides the car through an exit, it jerks the car to the far right side of the exit ramp, so close to the guardrail that the distance sensors in the visualization screen turn red. Way too close to trust, even when I'm ready for it.

-- NOA does a terrible job with merging traffic. I had to intervene to keep my car from running into the side of a car merging from the right. It's as if NOA has no peripheral vision. I can see what's about to happen but the car is clueless.

-- In my experience, the car randomly changes lanes for no apparent reason and then moves back into the original lane shortly afterward (10 seconds or less). It also seems to pick a lane where traffic is about to slow down. It doesn't seem like it can see far enough down the road to realize changing lanes is a bad idea.

-- Whenever it decides it needs to move over for an exit (usually right around 1 mile from the exit), it will immediately slow down to move behind the car in that lane, even if the road is clear ahead of that car. The slowing can be significant and potentially dangerous if there are cars behind me. It would be much smoother and safer to accelerate ahead of that car and my car still has plenty of time to pass and move into the exit lane. I can accelerate and make the car wait to change lanes until I've passed the slower car, but this seems like a simple thing that the car should be able to figure out on its own.

Based on my experiences to date, I have serious doubts that V.10 is going to fix all of these issues. Until NOA works smoothly and safely, I'm not going to be using it again. Frankly, using the turn signals while on autopilot to make the car change lanes works a whole lot better at this point.

hmmm, I am puzzled. I just took a 1100 mile trip from Reno to San Diego and back the last few days with recent software and didn't experience any of this stuff. I used NOA most all of the time !!! It didn't do one thing (which I expected) on substantial portions of highway 395, it would not automatically change lanes to pass slower traffic nor get back into the non passing lanes. However, worked beautifully when I manually signaled it to change lanes. For me, I really like it and glad to have it. Too bad your experience was not good.

Navigation on Autopilot is just the newest trick from Tesla. It advances significantly the capabilities, and paves the way for the next steps to full automation.

Right now, it does really not have it all together in all situations. On some of my typical highway merges it works fantastic. Takes me from the I-15 to the 91 smoothly and without drama. But when I try to use it to merge smoothly onto the crazy busy and hectic 91 it struggles, and I typically switch back to manual.

Not optimum, but owners still need to be aware of the situations where autopilot works great, and where it struggles. Don't try to force it to do something you would hope it could cope with, but has not gotten yet to that point.

Mine works best in both rush hour traffic and in long distance travel, where I tend to stay in the middle lanes. If I force it to cruise in the far right lane it often gets confused with agressively merging traffic, or where painted lines begin to veer off to the right and lane widths vary greatly.

I doubt it. The car can see more then you can. Ive just let it go and found it simply will not it anything it sees.
Car merging from the right would have plowed right into me. Both cars moving at high speed and there was no way my car was going to react fast enough to avoid the collision. The guy coming from the right wasn't going to slow down, even though I had the right of way. He/she just assumed I would back off the throttle. Not the only time it has happened either. With more room and slower moving traffic, NOA might've worked but not here.

Car merging from the right would have plowed right into me. Both cars moving at high speed and there was no way my car was going to react fast enough to avoid the collision. The guy coming from the right wasn't going to slow down, even though I had the right of way. He/she just assumed I would back off the throttle. Not the only time it has happened either. With more room and slower moving traffic, NOA might've worked but not here.

I have had this exact occasion, if all your ap settings are right, the car will avoid side impacts merging or otherwise quite aggressively. It FEELS like it won't but if all your settings are right, it will.

• Love
Reactions: VoyageWOCarbon