Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep finding navigation volume muted. I assume most times it is from resetting the touch screen.

I almost missed exit today because I was in phone and navigation apparently muted on call. Is there anyway to get it to talk during the call?

I know that the nav volume mutes on a call, but I find I have to frequently go into the nav settings to unmute even when not on the phone. I can’t figure out if it’s something I’m doing (like raising nav volume with wheel control) or just a software bug that doesn’t seem to get much mention other than a few short posts here on TMC.

I've noticed that if you use the play pause button on the wheel while a navigation cue is playing it will mute navigation and instead of pausing your media playback. It's the same with volume changes during navigation cues.

The Owner's Manual mentions adjusting nav volume using the thumb wheel while nav is speaking:

and using the Nav Settings (which now takes too many touch-screen steps for me to mess with):

There's also a voice command but it's not what you'd expect. "[Un]mute voice guidance" works (if the car currently has a good cell signal). The screen will feed back something like "Navigation unmuted" but "Unmute navigation" doesn't work as a command.

I have no hypotheses on what would cause navigation to get muted on you other than accidentally scrolling the volume down at the same time that nav is speaking.