Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice in South Florida - go with Tesla or local company for Solar/Powerwall system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a third party installer sell me a PowerWall, since Tesla was unwilling to do so unless I also bought my solar system from them. Tesla sells very few system configurations, and the only way they could get theirs to fit on my roof was to put it in shadow, so I wanted a better solar setup along with a powerwall, and had to go with independent installers. I got three quotes.

Here in the bay area of CA, Tesla, charges $6500 for a powerwall, $1100 for the power gateway, and you will also pay for whatever additional wiring, junction boxes, circuit breakers, that you need. Call it about $9,000 for gear to install one powerwall. With labor and permits, you're looking about $15,000-$16,000. The incremental cost of a second powerwall is much lower, you can get two of them for about $22-23,000. My numbers aren't exact, since I didn't go through with the Tesla proposal, and there are some final costs they don't know until they get there.

Locally, the installers which still had SGIP credits charged $18,000 to install one powerwall, about $3k more than Tesla. Another installer was willing to install two powerwalls for $26,000, about $3,000 more than Tesla. Those were the lowest bids that I got for one powerwall versus two.

They don't mark up the powerwall much at all, where they get you is their labor costs.

Jeez. I got 2 PWs from Tesla for $14500. PW install is one day. How can they charge $5000+ for it?