Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice New vs Used Model 3 (2019 vs 2017 with better specs)

Which vehicle should I buy?

• 2019/20 Standard Plus Model 3

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 2017 Long Range Model 3 plus FSD and premium interior

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've put a deposit down via the Tesla website for the following two vehicles:

1. 2019 Model 3 SR+ RWD (no additional bells or whistles except black paint) - $41,790 likely to receive a 2020 VIN)
2. 2017 Model 3 LR RWD (FSD, full premium interior, 19-inch sport wheels, 33,900 miles) - $43,300

I think the 2017 is a great deal... even though I can't get the $1875 federal tax credit or the $2000 CA rebate.
The 2019 is $37,915 after the tax credit and rebate. So, I'm paying $5,385 more for the 2017.

However,
(a) FSD would could $7,000 alone.
(b) The larger battery and extra range is a great reselling factor plus it adds benefit on long drives.
(c)The sports wheels look cool and would normally cost an extra $1,600-$1,800 I believe.
(d) The premium interior has many important benefits over partial premium interior, including the sound for me (as a music industry person). The traffic visualization/premium navigation is also valuable. The heated backseats are also nice... doesn't matter much matter to me personally since I live in LA where the weather rarely gets cold and I will rarely have backseat passengers, but this will very much matter to someone I try to sell the vehicle to in the future. The premium interior must cost thousands a la carte.

Both cars are black outside and inside, which is what I wanted. So, I lose two years of VIN (which won't matter after several years of ownership. And, I pay more upfront, but get far more value in the specs with the 2017.

At $.15/mile, I lose approximately $5,085 in value on the 2017 due to the 33,900 miles. I imagine there will be some paint issues that I may want to fix as well after all that driving.

This vehicle will mostly sit in my garage though. I do not expect to drive it more than 5,000/mi/year (if that) since I live directly across the street from work. So, I will start to make up for the standard 12k/yr miles the previous owner put on the vehicle.

Finally, I know that FSD may likely go up in price and value, which brings the 2017 additional value. Also, only FSD behicles can be part of the "robo-taxi" fleet, which has great potential financial value in the future (although no one knows when this will actually be available of course).

With all the above in mind, which vehicle do you think I should go for this week??? One will be cancelled.

Thanks!

I say neither. Older car will likely have issues. If you are lucky inside warranty otherwise outside warranty. And new car you might not get it this year, so I would wait to see if Tesla adjusts its prices early next year.

I hear you. But, if they don't adjust their prices, I lose out on the $1,875 tax incentive and maybe the 2k rebate. By the way, my delivery is already set for this year, so I'm guaranteed to get both.