Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice on Tinting Percentages in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to get my Model 3 Performance tinted in 2 weeks. I live in California and I plan to keep my tint percentages in line with those allowed by CA law. That means I have to have the two front windows at 70%. My question has to do with the rest of the car. I can do the back window and the two rear passenger windows any percentage. I was thinking of doing the entire rear window and the two rear passenger windows at either 30% or 40%. I have seen some posts on here where some people have done 30% on the sides and 50% on the rear.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these options.

Thank you,
joebruin77

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
I am scheduled to get my Model 3 Performance tinted in 2 weeks. I live in California and I plan to keep my tint percentages in line with those allowed by CA law. That means I have to have the two front windows at 70%. My question has to do with the rest of the car. I can do the back window and the two rear passenger windows any percentage. I was thinking of doing the entire rear window and the two rear passenger windows at either 30% or 40%. I have seen some posts on here where some people have done 30% on the sides and 50% on the rear.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these options.

Thank you,
joebruin77
Actually 70% will still be breaking the law... I can't imagine getting a ticket for it though. Someone did a test on here showing the front windows already have a very light tint to them.
Are you thinking for style or to keep out heat?

Actually 70% will still be breaking the law... I can't imagine getting a ticket for it though. Someone did a test on here showing the front windows already have a very light tint to them.
Are you thinking for style or to keep out heat?

Yep, but I am not too worried about getting a ticket for a 70% tint. I am mainly doing it to reduce the heat and keep out as much UV rays as possible. I have to park outside year round, so I am hoping some premium tinting will keep out some of the heat and protect the interior of the car.

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
Yep, but I am not too worried about getting a ticket for a 70% tint. I am mainly doing it to reduce the heat and keep out as much UV rays as possible. I have to park outside year round, so I am hoping some premium tinting will keep out some of the heat and protect the interior of the car.
We offer a 2-ply Ceramic film by SunTek. It definitely reduces the heat, and protects your interior. You could cover the entire car in 70% and still get the IHR from the film. The shade doesn't determine the IHR. Shades are typically for the look of the finished product when you are dealing with Ceramic film.

• Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
You could do something like 50% photosync all around if you just want the best UV protection without being dark. or 50 all around and 70% in the front side windows if your really worried. I doubt you would get a ticket with 50% though. It really depends on the look you want. Another option would be 35% all around and 50% in the front, I bet the front would almost appear untinted due to the darker back.

The chance of getting a ticket with 50% is still incredibly low. I have 15-20% on all of my cars and I've only gotten one ticket (when I was already pulled over for speeding). Mixing 50% and 70% on the sides would look fine. But I think it looks atrocious when people do something like 20% in the back and 70% in the front. IMO, tint should look pretty uniform, save for the windshield, of course.

Reactions: Glamisduner