Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need guidance: 2020MX Brake Job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello MX owners, I could use a bit of guidance for my recently purchased used ‘20MX LR+.

Though it has only 40K miles, I’ve been told it needs front brake job (rotors and pads) done and was quoted around $1300 by Tesla. Please advise if this price is legit or are there any alternative sites from where I can buy these parts (request part names/numbers) and do it with a local mechanic. Also, besides pads and rotors, will anything else need to be changed??Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Well I had a service appointment and they checked the car throughout - everything else seems fully functional but the rotors and pads are worn down which is causing the pedal needing to be depressed more in. The earlier owners didn’t abuse the car, but drove it like a regular one, using brakes all the time and no regen.

My question is which brake parts are best to get, any no’s I need to follow for this year and anything else besides brakes and pads which need to be accounted for this job? Thanks again for your inputs.

"Front Brake Job" ... what does that even mean? Does the vehicle have a vibration when the friction pads are used? Are the rotora scored, or rusty? Why not upload a copy of your estimate so we can see the parts list?

The Pads are $40 to $80 depending on what you want. Assuming worst case scenario where new rotors are required, figure $340 for parts:

This YouTuber does a really professional job:

$1,300? I dunno. Seems a bit much, but the mechanic has at least $15,000 in tools and toolbox that they're paying for. They deserve something like $45 to $50 an hour and that $4,000,000.00 building they're working in has to be paid for by someone.

"Front Brake Job" ... what does that even mean? Does the vehicle have a vibration when the friction pads are used? Are the rotora scored, or rusty? Why not upload a copy of your estimate so we can see the parts list?

The Pads are $40 to $80 depending on what you want. Assuming worst case scenario where new rotors are required, figure $340 for parts:

$1,300? I dunno. Seems a bit much, but the mechanic has at least $15,000 in tools and toolbox that they're paying for. They deserve something like $45 to $50 an hour and that $4,000,000.00 building they're working in has to be paid for by someone.
Tesla’s labor rate is at least $150, in some places $200+ per hour

Reactions: Proflig8tor

Thank you very much for this. The brake pedal needs to be pressed all the way down when needing to be used (aside of regen), probably the prior owner lady used it like a regular car was the SC advisor’s thought. They said pads are work and one rotor has a cut (didn’t show me) so the recommendation was to change front set of tires, rotors and cleanse the back which seemed to be good.

Reactions: Proflig8tor
That's pretty reasonable for a brake job on a set of brakes of this size/fixed calipers with labor included.

DIY would probably cut the cost in half. If there are pad wear sensors, those are probably $20 or so and if they're not tripped yet can be reused assuming they don't fall apart during the replacement