Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help identify accused from Sentry Mode hit and run video.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Taksh

Sep 25, 2022
Austin
In Jun 2022, my car was hit by a rolling unattended shopping cart (due to negligence of another shopper during loading/unloading of the cart) at Whole Foods Bee Cave. That person never left a note.
While the damage was claimed and repaired through my insurance, Insurance is not going to follow up to get the details of the person who was negligent because it is not an auto accident. Luckily my car (Tesla) captured the incident and the person's face and description was captured very clearly. The license plate of other person's car was not very clear though as the car was far. I filed a report with Bee Cave PD who were able to find the person shopping inside Wholefoods at the same time. They have Subpoena-ed Whole Foods to provide them the point of sale data to identify the person, however they have not received a response from Amazon yet. I sincerely believe Bee Cave PD is overwhelmed with solving real crimes and my case is way low in priority.

Is there a way to solve my case? I.e. to identify the accused and recover my deductible. I have the sentry mode video that clearly captures the person's face and description.

My guess on these sort of incidents is that the grocery store doesn't want to mess with it as they generally go by a "park at your own risk" mentality. And your insurance company would likely just rather write a check for the damage as opposed to launching a major investigation, taking people to court... ect. The corporate world doesn't care about justice, just getting things "taken care of" at the lowest cost.

Upvote 0
Whole Foods actually helped us. The police was able to review cameras inside to pin point when and what kind of checkout system they used. The person involved used both Amazon return as well as Whole Foods self checkout. So they have the data and they are willing to share.

The police says they have requested the information to Amazon and still waiting while Amazon says they usually respond within 2-3 days of a request.

I believe this is first time local police subpeona-ed Amazon and probably did it the wrong way. The Police are overwhelmed all over US. Is there a way I can privately subpeona through an Attorney to get the information faster?

Upvote 0