Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with options..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a model S and have one question. Saw a video a few months ago of a Tesla following some other cars on the highway, it's radar beeped, and a second or two later two cars got into an accident in front. Saw some comments to the video and it said the newer autopilot (v8.0) constantly bounces radar/sonar off cars in front of them and noticed two cars were very close to each other?

This video:

My question is could I have it with AP 1.0, or is it something I would need 2.0 on? Debating between a used P85D, P90D, or a regular 70/90 (if i need to go with 2.0).

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Either AP1 or 2 would detect like that. It's using a radar ling under the car in front to detect the other car.

My AP1 car does this all the time. Edit: it detects 2 cars ahead that is.

If price is not a major issue, is consider the AP2 car since it will continue to improve while the AP1 car is pretty much at its best use limit already.

Either AP1 or 2 would detect like that. It's using a radar ling under the car in front to detect the other car.

My AP1 car does this all the time.

If price is not a major issue, is consider the AP2 car since it will continue to improve while the AP1 car is pretty much at its best use limit already.

Thanks! My issue is I would really like a P85D/P90D for the added performance over a regular S. Most of those have AP 1.0, right? It's the P100Ds that are on AP 2.0. Trying to stay < $90k..

I'll try to convince myself to at least entertain 75D or 90Ds..

Have you driven a "regular S"? Unless you're planning on racing the car, I think it has all the performance anyone would want, and is tens of thousands of dollars less than a P.
Exactly. The difference is what, 1.5 seconds to 60? For $40K? Not at all worth it to me. Much rather have the newer software than the speed that you can't use except rarely or if racing. And as some other threads have noted, if you get too used to even the P speed, then what? :D

Agree with the others. Unless you're insanely wealthy or a speed demon, the P is not remotely necessary. My Model S 75 has more acceleration than I would ever need. The only real benefit to having a faster one would be the wow factor of launching people, but honestly even my 75 can do that!

Definitely test drive a 75 before even considering a higher one for performance. It should feel plenty fast. Even if the speed isn't as much as you want from a numbers perspective, it FEELS faster than an ICE car because of the instant torque.