Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need laws requiring utilities to charge lowest commercial rates to EV charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the advancement of EV usage it has been my firm belief that each state needs to pass a law requiring their Public Utility Commission to require the various Utility companies to supply electricity to EV charging stations at the lowest commercial rates, with NO charge for Peak KW usage, just the kWh usage. Otherwise all EV fast charging, not just Tesla Superchargers will be paying LARGE amounts each month just for the fast charging capability, even if only a couple of dollars of electricity is used.

For the advancement of EV usage it has been my firm belief that each state needs to pass a law requiring their Public Utility Commission to require the various Utility companies to supply electricity to EV charging stations at the lowest commercial rates, with NO charge for Peak KW usage, just the kWh usage. Otherwise all EV fast charging, not just Tesla Superchargers will be paying LARGE amounts each month just for the fast charging capability, even if only a couple of dollars of electricity is used.

This is a problem that will be a main topic of discussion when they start to do Demand Metering to residential customers. There have been a few unsuccessful attempts so far. It minimizes their Solar investment (if any) while discouraging EV ownership. Demand Metering DOES go 24 hours. There is a second fee for Demand at Peak hours. So there is 2 demand fees each month in the summer.

That’s fine, but when you require them to lower the rate, then they will raise the rate for other users. There is no free......

While I agree with the premise that electric rates should be as low as possible, I don't agree with the idea of getting rid of the demand charge for commercial customers. There is a higher cost associated with providing 500 kW of peak power to a site than just 100 kW and the customer should pay for that higher cost.

This isn't to say that demand rates couldn't be adjusted and made to more closely reflect the true costs of providing that power. For example, like some people pay TOU (time of use) rates and have different prices for a kWh throughout the day, maybe demand charges should be on a sliding scale as well based on what time of day your peak power demand happened. If your 500 kW peak during the month was at 3:00 AM on a Saturday, maybe your demand charge for the month shouldn't be as high as it would be if your 500 kW peak happened at 3:00 PM on a weekday.

If the customer isn't paying for a demand charge, there is no incentive to ease the load on the grid by deploying something like a Tesla PowerPack to smooth out the electricity demand.

I wouldn't object to the eventual addition of a demand charge to residential rates as long as, on average, people are paying roughly the same as what they were pay before demand charges were added. If demand charges were added, one could change your behavior slightly to avoid high demand charges that would be
associated with stressing the grid. Things like: Run your clothes dryer in the morning before the central air-conditioner kicks in for the day; Charge your EV in the middle of the night (currently, I have no TOU or demand charges, so I charge the EV as fast as possible when I arrive in the evening - doesn't have to be that way though.)

You guys might find this interesting. This was witness testimony with Calif PUC filed by a Tesla employee (interesting bio at the end) regarding electrical service for medium and heavy EV fleet charging infrastructure. Sure it was done with the upcoming Semi fleet customers arriving on the scene in a few years. Came upon it tonight while seaching for something totally unrelated. This was the only link I had and no idea of the outcome. From last summer.

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/SupDoc/A1701020/706/192869724.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele

Yes, and for the advancement of the COUNTRY let’s have the government pass laws to set the price of EVERYTHING! (or at least only the GOOD things!)

• Funny
Reactions: mblakele and CSFTN
How many times would you use public charging if you got the following bill:

$ 1.50 Cost of Electricity
$5,000.00 Demand charge

Also, I never suggested that the electricity be provided to EV charging at a loss. There is a lot of mark-up in the various rates charged to different customers.