Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some "ceramic coating" help with what the dealer has installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 22 Model 3 P in white, I was told by the dealer they had a company ceramic coat the interior and exterior (the company is called ECP Plus)...While they tried to charge me I refused to pay it since I hadn't asked for the option and simply didn't want it. I am now in a bit of a pickle since I want to PPF the front end of the car. I am hoping someone on here has some experience with this coating and can help with removing it. I don't care about the warranty or the coating itself as I don't have much faith in the ceramic properties from this company. I am hoping this can be as simple as using an alkaline brake cleaner diluted and a clay bar but not sure (might have to resort to adrasives). Just hoping someone has some insight for me on this...

Here is their site

Thanks

I am not familiar with that company or their product. I took a quick glance at their website and it didn’t clearly say what their product is or what it contains. But if it is indeed a professionally installed ceramic coating, then I am guessing the only way to remove it is with a dual action polisher, compound, and cutting pad. I don’t think an alkaline cleaner and clay bar will remove it. This assumes it is a true ceramic coating..

I suggest contacting the company and asking them the best way to remove their paint protection.

I am not familiar with that company or their product. I took a quick glance at their website and it didn’t clearly say what their product is or what it contains. But if it is indeed a professionally installed ceramic coating, then I am guessing the only way to remove it is with a dual action polisher, compound, and cutting pad. I don’t think an alkaline cleaner and clay bar will remove it. This assumes it is a true ceramic coating..

I suggest contacting the company and asking them the best way to remove their paint protection.
Getting ahold of them hasnt been the easiest but will continue to try...I just realized they put a kit inside the trunk with additional product in it, I wonder if there is more ceramic coating in the kit, that might help if it says anything on the packaging.

Getting ahold of them hasnt been the easiest but will continue to try...I just realized they put a kit inside the trunk with additional product in it, I wonder if there is more ceramic coating in the kit, that might help if it says anything on the packaging.
The fact that you can’t get a hold of them and the fact that their website doesn’t say what’s in their product is suspicious.

You could tape off a small test area, apply some alkaline cleaner and / or a clay bar to that area only, and then spray some water on it. If the water doesn’t bead at all in the test area, then it probably removed the coating. And if this happens, then it probably wasn’t a true ceramic coati g to begin with.

So I contacted the dealer I got my car from...I asked them about the coating and filled them in on my plans to PPF the car. They contacted their rep, he said no problem on putting PPF on top of this "ceramic" coating. Now Im quite confused but think Im going to do a test panel to see if the PPF sticks, should be interesting.

Actually, I just remembered that the company "Entire Car Protection" actually makes one of my favorite car care products Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. Technicians Choice also makes a ceramic coating. But it is still strange that they won't tell you the exact product that is on your car. Since you mentioned your dealer got in touch with their "rep", I would ask your dealer to give you the name and contact info for their rep so you can contact the rep directly.