Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to delay pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a Vin and and an appointment for pickup Saturday. But out of the blue we have decided to buy a house that became available. Wasn't on the radar but life always has unexpected surprises and next thing you know your offer is accepted on a house you didn't know existed 3 days ago. Or was even going to happen. Or you where even going to buy a house.

So I need to delay my pickup while I go through the house buying process. Any recommendations? That is if it's really available. I did have an appointment for Oct 3rd and that went away.

Besides checking the website, there has been no communication from Tesla. Except they want a final payment before pickup via the website.

Depends on how long you want to delay it? If it's a couple of days, probably won't be a big deal, but if you want it after a few weeks, you'll probably get another vehicle. Hopefully, you will get it before Dec 31, which you probably will...

Advise..don't pay ahead..go in with a cashier's check, and inspect the car first. Only after you have inspected it to your satisfaction, I would hand them the check...

best of luck and watch for any paint issues. That seems to be a majority of the problems along with misaligned panels.

Reactions: lensovet
I asked my Service Advisor to push back my delivery by about a month due to being offered a vehicle a bit sooner than I was expecting. I had no trouble in doing so as she simply released the VIN and stated that she'd order another one for me at the beginning of October. I didn't receive any pushback or hard sell to take delivery by end of Q3. My new delivery date is now 10/31, which works perfectly for me.

I know a lot of closings can take up to 30 days and lenders tend to frown on any major purchases during that time frame, so depending on the configuration you are ordering, you may be cutting it close if you are trying to ensure that you get the full tax credit. Although, on the other hand, if you are somewhat flexible, you might be able to find a suitable configuration that is immediately available once you're ready to buy.