Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Network Connectivity Initial Lag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When getting into to my car I have noticed, quite often, that when I am initially entering my car, it can take several minutes for the network to connect again to navigate, play music etc. it will show the “no service” bars with a slash through it is unavailable to load any data.

I’ve noticed this with strong connection due to being in an area where I know the connection is fine due to previous experience is exact location with full signal strength when leaving the car. It may happen more often as the longer my car sleeps but other times it can happen from running into the store and come back within 10 minutes. It seems more random than anything. It’s annoying when in a rush and you can’t navigate quickly and efficiently.

It seems like a total software issue and I am due for an update but don’t have strong WiFi signal from my new garage so I have not been able to update It in the last 3 months but have noticed this with previous firmware as well. I’ve searched once or twice for this issue but haven’t seen much on this exact experience but please direct me if there are threads on this as well.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2020 Dual Motor on software 2020.12.5

Attachments

• 5DBE2FD8-5F60-4B91-B170-44B4643EDA58.jpeg
    5DBE2FD8-5F60-4B91-B170-44B4643EDA58.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
This happens to me when the wifi access point near my garage is down or needs a reboot. I would use the hotspot on your phone to create a wifi network to update the software, and longer term is there any way to improve the WIFI in your garage? My theory is that if it keeps connecting and disconnecting, it ultimately gives up and puts the modem into some sort of sleep mode. Many software iterations ago it would require a car reboot to get the modem going again but now the "recovery" time seems much quicker.

This also happens to me at a hotel in Santa Barbara where they park the car in an underground garage with zero cell service.