Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity got much worse signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else noticed the signal for premium connectivity has got a lot worse recently? I used to be able to watch netflix in places where phones don't have signal (ee and O2 network). But now it seems to lose signal everywhere, even places where my phone has 4g signal.

Is this likely an issue with my car, or have they changed the provider of the premium connectivity in the UK?

Ya know I VERY rarely use it for anything other than spotify. But I have noticed the past 4 or 5 times i've found myself parked up long enough to fire up youtube, its been a stuttery mess.

I always just assumed I was in a bad spot or it was youtube messing about but in reality, it could well be what you are experiencing.

What happens if a lot of us if not all, will cancel the premium connectivity?
Maybe... they will speed-up and find a solution.
never mind... cancelled!
I think it would resolve allot of issues for them if they just caved in and gave us CarPlay/android auto and charged a smaller premium for keeping other things alive other than streaming.

It becomes more of an issue for listening to your music and specially navigation if you rely on it streaming from the web instead of having these thing downloaded and streaming from your phone.

Yup, mine seems to have lost signal recently for maps in areas I go regularly
Nothing to do with premium connectivity.
The problem is with EE mast connectivity when moving to another mast band 20 which Tesla uses does not reconnect with the new mast.
Tesla and EE are trying to sort this, but band 20 is by far the best band for distance and penetration of structures.

The problem is with EE mast connectivity when moving to another mast band 20 which Tesla uses does not reconnect with the new mast.
Tesla and EE are trying to sort this, but band 20 is by far the best band for distance and penetration of structures.
Do they only use EE or is it when they come across an EE mast.

The route used to be fine, just noticed it on my last trip along it.

This has been talked about here:

And yeah, it has got pretty rubbish recently!
I see, I've actually searched Google before posting: premium connectivity got worse in the uk. But the search results were like: is premium connectivity worth it in the UK. Which tbh a bit sarcastic.

But is it a recent thing? It never were like this before, I almost never experienced map issues before, not even to mention had good connection where my phone had zero signal.
And in the recent few months it just changed, up to the point I'm starting to question why I'm even paying for "premium" connectivity.

Reactions: Roy Batty
Just to clarify. It's not that signal is getting worse, and streaming is slower/worst quality.
It's that the car COMPLETETY loses signal, for chunks of 30 mins to an hour.
No Spotify at all, no maps, no traffic, no using the app remotely, nothing...

Here's what I got from diagnostics mode when it happened. Data Registration Not Attached. Whatever it means
1703347643451.png

Last edited:
That's not what Tesla told me yesterday on the phone, but maybe you have better information?
I've no idea what the situation is currently but Tesla has used different arrangements including Spanish sims and Dutch sims with roaming capabilites. These led to issues with accessing UK specific services (eg iPlayer) so there has been some variation over the past few years. There have been relatively recent posts about people with a Dutch sim. Obviously the advantage of a roaming sim is that there are going to be fewer connectivity gaps. Perhaps this relates to the issues that some people are experiencing. Given that in all recent cars there is no physical sim card in the vehicle the network arrangements can be changed by Tesla pretty much at the drop of a hat via software update.

Visiting my mum at the moment and the car always used to get signal here but not reachable on the app right now. Woke the car up by unlocking and locking again and still can't access via the app.

It's definitely got worse. Sounds like Tesla is aware of the issues, from what I've heard. Hopefully there will be a fix eventually but I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder if this is related to the way that EE (and Three) have to block access to band 20 from phones that don't support (or aren't provisioned for) VoLTE? Just speculating, but if Teslas don't (consistently) have access to band 20 on EE, then the degradation of service could be related to the way that EE are rearranging their network as part of their ongoing 3G shutdown.

The big problem that EE and Three have is that they don't have any 900MHz spectrum, so their 2G and 3G networks have significantly reduced coverage compared to their 4G network (and in future 5G - although obviously 5G coverage is currently more limited). There was a concern, therefore, that there are significant areas of the county where phones will show that they are in coverage, but without a VoLTE-provisioned handset will not be able to make voice calls - and in particular 999 calls. I don't know if it's still the case, but historically the solution was for EE and Three to block access to band 20 from non-VoLTE-provisioned handsets, to avoid the heightened risk of people believing they have the ability to make 999 calls when they don't.

This all happens because you need VoLTE (also known as 4G Calling) in order to make voice calls over 4G and 5G networks. Older handsets have to switch back to 2G or 3G to make voice calls - and in the case of EE or Three there's a heightened risk that there may be be no 2G/3G available to switch back to, despite your phone showing a good 4G signal. This risk can never be completely avoided with circuit-switched fallback, but O2 and Vodafone have the huge benefit of 900Mhz spectrum, which has similar range to band 20, so they aren't required to play these games as it's highly likely that if you have 4G coverage you'll also be within their 2G or 3G coverage and hence be able to make voice calls, even with an old handset.

4G, 5G and VoLTE are the future - 2G and 3G will be shut down in the coming years - but the transition is not without issue. Increasingly non-VoLTE handsets - or early VoLTE handsets which suffer from interoperabiliy issues - are unable to make voice calls when roaming to networks in countries such as the USA where networks are well ahead of us in shutting down 2G and 3G. And even if you had a modern, interoperable VoLTE handset, there were early problems with VoLTE roaming. Things will get better eventually - they are getting better, in fact - as all networks now have a huge incentive to make the new technology work properly, as they want to switch off the old. But it will take time to iron out all the issues.

roy

Last edited: