Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEVI funding showing up along with V4's in Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharge.info today is showing plans for at least 12 new sites in Colorado that are both NEVI-funded and V4. It's been rare to see V4 superchargers going in, but it certainly makes sense in relation to NEVI requirements.

In Arizona we have zero V4's, but one of the V3 sites in Mesa is being upgraded from V3 to V4. (No idea if NEVI funding is involved there.)

Anyone else seeing plans for V4's? Any V4's not related to NEVI?

Reactions: bruce4000
Supercharge.info today is showing plans for at least 12 new sites in Colorado that are both NEVI-funded and V4. It's been rare to see V4 superchargers going in, but it certainly makes sense in relation to NEVI requirements.

In Arizona we have zero V4's, but one of the V3 sites in Mesa is being upgraded from V3 to V4. (No idea if NEVI funding is involved there.)

Anyone else seeing plans for V4's? Any V4's not related to NEVI?
A number of the early V4 sites were not NEVI.
Selinsgrove, PA is under construction and is V4, but not a NEVI location.

Many V3s have now been built with Permits giving V4 as an option, or with pedestals centered in the stall, V4 ready.

Reactions: bruce4000
How do you know if NEVI funding funded a site? Is there a rollout plan or will it be WILLY NILLY.
NEVI publishes all their grants. NEVI is publicly-funded so has to be open to the public. I assume it's equal across the US, but here in Arizona NEVI funds 80% of the cost and expects a private owner/operator to pick up the rest of the cost.

As I was thinking how hard even 20% of the cost might be on a rural business owner, I realized that Private Ownership could mean Tesla owns and operates the facility outright.

Is there is a roll-out plan? Well, NEVI stuff is very bureaucratic by its very nature, and there is lots of planning. Depends what you mean by willy-nilly. In AZ, the DOT is wrangling the NEVI process while not contributing any funding of its own. Other than some people coordinating a lot of stuff. By the nature of the need, the funding is heading towards areas in need of chargers while being short of suitable hosts. (Generally rural interstates). The process involves first finding someone to be the owner/operator in, say Seligman, and then qualifying them for funding and then giving the funds, and then at some point a contractor is hired and construction begins. I have little doubt some sites could take many months more to find an owner and get started than others. The location requirements in the plan are pretty strict, so you can't just add a charging site 10 miles off the freeway.

I think a monkey wrench got thrown into the mix when Tesla opened its chargers to other brands. Several of the 11 Arizona NEVI sites are already covered quite well by existing Superchargers, but they don't have CCS connectors. NEVI requires (currently) at least CCS connectors. Some of the NEVI sites risk being nearly useless if 4 stalls are across the road from 102 superchargers, like at Quartzite. I'm not sure how this is getting handled going forward, but being a government project in motion, I bet those unneeded stations get built. Oh well, the more, the merrier.