Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2020 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, just got my first 2020 model s Tesla. I ordered the gen 3 charger and installing it today at home. Is it ideal to plug it in everyday and let it get a full charge? Also if I do let it charge overnight, is it ok to leave it connected until I wake up. All input and advice is appreciated! Love this car so much , thanks everyone.

It is hard on batteries to either charge up to 100% or run down to 0%.

Good practice is to charge up to 90% in your garage overnight so you will have enough range for your daily use. Only charge to 100% on those few occasions when you will be starting out on a long trip and need to maximize that days initial range.

You can easily set the amount of charge when you plug in, and it will charge up to your 90% and shut off automatically.

Congratulations on your new Model S. They are really quite remarkable.

It is hard on batteries to either charge up to 100% or run down to 0%.

Good practice is to charge up to 90% in your garage overnight so you will have enough range for your daily use. Only charge to 100% on those few occasions when you will be starting out on a long trip and need to maximize that days initial range.

You can easily set the amount of charge when you plug in, and it will charge up to your 90% and shut off automatically.

Congratulations on your new Model S. They are really quite remarkable.
I will echo most of this and add that, for most who commute a limited amount each day (15-20 miles or so) you really don't even need to charge to 90%. We've found that 50-70% on most of our cars will not only be more than enough but will also enable us to go several days w/o even needing to plug in. It's not a bad idea to get into the habit of plugging it in each time you get home in terms of not forgetting to plug it in one night but if you want to min/max your battery's overall life you can do small things like this to prolong it's lifespan... even if only incrementally. That last part is quite important because we're not talking about any of this making a drastic difference based on newer data that Elon himself has discussed as recent as last year. Don't lose sleep over it and the big take-aways are to not charge to 100% and store it for longer periods fully charged and Superchargers can have a negative impact on the battery lifespan as well but both are going to be small percentages all-told. Everything else I mentioned is even smaller percentages of improvement so don't stress and enjoy never having to go to a gas station again unless it's to get your favorite energy drink or coffee.

Also, be sure to read as much info on this forum that you can as it's priceless. The search function is but a click & a few keystrokes away from revealing just about any & everything you could want to know on any subject that pops into your head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seawind300
Hey all, just got my first 2020 model s Tesla. I ordered the gen 3 charger and installing it today at home. Is it ideal to plug it in everyday and let it get a full charge? Also if I do let it charge overnight, is it ok to leave it connected until I wake up. All input and advice is appreciated! Love this car so much , thanks everyone.

Congratulations! Aside from the recommendations above, you may want to enable Energy Saving and leave Always Connected off (from the center screen). These should help your car save energy when it isn't plugged in.

Enjoy!

Congrats!

With your 2020 (assuming it's long range), you have almost 400 miles to a charge!

I will say 75% (around 300 miles) should be more than enough for your daily commute. My 2016 Model S 60D has just a little over 200 miles at 100% charge, so even at 75% charge, you're still ahead of most Model S's that came before.

Enjoy your ride!

Congratulations! Aside from the recommendations above, you may want to enable Energy Saving and leave Always Connected off (from the center screen). These should help your car save energy when it isn't plugged in.

Enjoy!
Setting those two settings to the exact opposite that you've recommended is one of the first changes when I get into a new Tesla. None of those have ever had the amount of range that the OP's car has either. In my opinion, while there's a minimal amount of energy that you might save from these settings but it adds a noticeable decrease to the ultimate user experience. Some things are just worth the price that you pay to have them and in this case it's a very small price in my opinion. Especially when you're talking about a car with nearly 400 miles of range. It's barely even a drop in the bucket to have these features working to ensure the best user experience possible.

This is why it's important to study the opinions of people on these forums because everybody is different and that's why our cars have so many features and adjustments. If everyone was the same they would all just come stamped from the factory the same way but fortunately we aren't.