Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New alternative to FoboTire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a long set of issues with FoboTire since I installed the system a while back. It sets off alarms all the time, even when there are no low pressure problems. Seems the in-car control until can't read the senders on the tires and thus sets off an alarm. It's a real PIA with the alarm going off all the time for nothing.

Today I was exploring buying a new FoboTire set but then found what appears to be a very good and less expensive alternative: Accutire. It's not yet being delivered but starts shipping June 15. It has no in-car unit -- the tire valve caps communicate directly with the iPhone or Anroid app. Mine will be delivered on June 17 so I'll try it out and report back soon. Acutire is available on Amazon for $82.00, which is far less that the Fobo system.

The folks at Fobo read your post and would like to get in touch with you...your problems are unusual, and they want to know more about them (they are pretty diligent at making the product better). And all of us with fobo monitors would like them to be as good as they can be...

Please contact Jonathan at [email protected]

Last edited:
By the way, Fobo also sells Fobobike, for non-car applications, and this model does not have an in-car unit- the monitors talk directly to the app, like Accutire (my son uses these in his car; he preferred not to have the in-car unit).

Fobo told me that many countries around the world prohibit sales of monitors without in-car units - which is just a result of the law that requires TPMS of some sort in all new cars, and specifies that it must have an in-car indication of pressure issues. It seems that this law applies to after-market car TPMS units also (this is mainly directed at cars built before TPMS was required, I guess, but isn't specific enough to allow add-on TPMS to not have the in-car unit if car already has one built in).

These are slightly more expensive than fobotire monitors, but Fobo has said that they would sell either model to Tesla owners for the Fobotire price. Fobobike lets you choose a display with either 2, 3, or 4 wheels on the vehicle...so that is how they give the option of getting around that law, in a legal fashion.

I don't know if the Accutire folks are aware of the law requiring an in-car unit for cars, or have found some way around it.

Lots of info here...I've been talking to Fobo about these issues and looking at the Accutire manual...

the Accutire sensors for their other product (which has an in-car unit), according to the user manual, are 25.5mm(D)x24.5mm(H), and weigh 15 grams - enough so that rebalancing is required (or just add the included 1/2oz weight to your wheel yourself!!). I haven't measured my fobos...don't know how this compares (rebalancing is not suggested as needed for fobo), or if the stand-alone Accutire sensors will be the same size as these.

I'll be very curious to see if we can determine how the construction techniques and materials compare on these Chinese ones vs. Fobo. Fobo is a major electronics company that actually produces products sold by the major Japanese electronics companies...I don't know enough about Accutire to comment, other than that they are Chinese...I certainly have my built-in prejudices against many Chinese "equivalent" products based on personal experience, but the truth will be in how each one lasts over time - Obviously, if the guts are similar in quality and longevity, then Accutire will have some appeal...we'll know for sure in a year or so!

I tend to go for products made by companies with serious quality commitments and manufacturing capability - I'm a musician, and use a pedal steel guitar volume pedal from Telonics that costs $500, vs. half that or less for other alternatives. It simply never will break - I've taken it apart and the construction/materials difference is quite obvious. And a ChiWahWah wah-wah pedal from Pluetoneium, same deal.

I just got another note from Fobo (I suspect that the last comment was only for me, but I included it anyway...):
"Another good news, Fobotire has underwent an extreme SAE J2657 compliance test and passed successfully. This is no easy feat. Please share if you wish. "
-and-
"one can download its App on to another device and read the sensors. This is a very tempting feature for theft. A thief can just steal it and use (fobo monitors require an account with Fob and can only be deregistered and moved by the owner).

The resolution is 0.5psi for Accutire while FOBO's is 0.1psi for Fobo and 0.2psi for FoboPlus. FOBO can read 2.5 times finer than Accutire!
The accuracy is +/-2-4psi for Accutire vs FOBO +/-0.2psi and +/-0.4psi for FOBOPlus. FOBO is 5-10X+ more accurate!
....All in all, Accutire is a very basic TPMS. FOBO is beyond its class. It is like comparing Tesla to Prius :)"
------------------------------------------------------
As soon as the Accutire monitors are available, Fobo will do a head-to-head test and teardown and let us know what they see as the comparison...I've been really impressed with the personal commitment these guys have to making this product the "best of breed" (similar to my own personal career experience, which is why it resonated with me), which is why I've been giving them all of your feedback - keep it coming!

Last edited:
I have also developed issues with my fobo unit. It beeps and gives many false alarms as well as error message. When I look on the phone to see why the in car unit is beeping one or two tires show error. No pressure or temp. A real pain. I will wait for Ricks evaluation then switch if his testing is positive.

Suprkar-
Please contact the folks at FOBO - what you are experienceing is rare - I have 4 sets and never had a problem! They will diagnose and fix your problem or send you a new set...contact Jonathan at [email protected]. They are around the world, so they will respond at your evening/night. But it sounds like your in-car unit is in a location where the signal is marginal for those sensors - bluetooth isn't great at going through a metal car...try moving your unit. But also contact Fobo!

I've discovered the problem and the fix. I was placing the control unit inside the storage space of my carbon fiber Evannex CCI. When I placed it out in the open the problem went away. Evidently the bluetooth signal was being blocked for some of the sending units on the tires.

I'll probably have to do the same when my Tesla CCI arrives.